Currently reading
openvpn mobile app

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Since fixing windows and my phone I was going to reestablish my openvpn to secure it. However, where you enter your credentials: profile name, server host name and username. It says Server host name (locked) and won't except any txt. What did I mess up. TIA

Als, someone showed me a way to enter a line in the config file, so it didn't ask to connect when activated. TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022_145528_OpenVPN Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022_145528_OpenVPN Connect.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 35
Ok, I found my old vpn config file and got it to connect. However, I can still connect when the vpn asp on the phone is turned off. WIFI is completely disabled on the phone. I thought you weren't suppose to connect unless you had vpn enabled?

That's ok. However, I'm not saying it's going to happen but if someone does hack in and I have open vpn running, they can't get in without my vpn config file on their device which is my point. I'm getting in past the vpn when it's not enabled on my phone.

However, I can still connect when the vpn asp on the phone is turned off. WIFI is completely disabled on the phone. I thought you weren't suppose to connect unless you had vpn enabled?
We need details on how you are connecting in the bolded bit above. What are you 'connecting' with? An app? A web browser? And what address are you using in that app/browser etc when you are connecting?

Point being, if your VPN is truly turned off on your phone and the phone is connecting to your external NAS, then you are using some non-VPN form of connection to do this. If you give us some answers to the Qs above, we can guess what type of non-VPN connection this is.

OK, for the last year I had all my synology apps, "Photos, Mailplus, DS file, Ds Note," ect, set to connect via my DDNS with HTTPS. I had setup the VPN server on the nas and exported the config to my phone. Whenever I connected, I had to enable the vpn app first, otherwise the connection failed.

Now, I'm still connecting my apps using the DDNS but it doesn't matter if the VPN app is enabled or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I connected, I had to enable the vpn app first, otherwise the connection failed

Now, I'm still connecting my apps using the DDNS but it doesn't matter if the VPN app is enabled or not.
As an aside, 'connecting by DDNS' has nothing to do with whether the connection is encrypted or not - DDNS just provides a convenient name pointer to the external IP address of your NAS.

If your VPN is not up and your phone is connecting to services on your NAS (and you are outside your LAN), then you have services open to the internet which it seems you maybe weren't aware of.

If you only want to be able to connect to services on your NAS via VPN, then you achieve this by putting rules in your firewall to block any incoming connections other than those coming via your VPN (and your LAN).
-- post merged: --

I've just realised that I'd replied to a previous thread from you re: your firewall in August this year.

If your firewall settings are still as per this post, then this explains why you are still able to access services directly from the internet. If you read 2 posts down from the one I linked, you'll see I mentioned this to you at the time.

My apologies to all. Recently had to rebuild my PC and reset my phone. Just deleted everything from firewall. Only thing that's left is management Ui and the vpn, which is back to normal working condition. I'm now able to access the Nas via cellular only and all the apps are working. If I disable the vpn on the phone I can't which is correct

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.