Currently reading
DSM 7.1 OpenVPN not passing DNS name unless there's a suffix

NAS
DS224+, RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am running openVPN via the VPN Server package on Synology. I have the dns option set to the ip on the dns server (which is basically the router of the remote network). The network is not setup as a domain, but as a workgroup. I am able to ping the host name.workgroup (i.e. test.workgroup) however I cannot ping the host name itself (test). I am using OpenVPN connect for windows application. On an ipconfig /all I do not see workgroup as a dns suffix; therefore how can I add workgroup to the openvpn config as a suffix?

I was able to resolve this issue by switching back to OpenVPN gui (or the app that is developed by OpenVPN community located in their community downloads). OpenVPN Connect app is for their own self hosted or commercial products. For whatever reason the OpenVPN connect app will not read the config where search domains are added to, but OpenVPN gui does. In short you have to use OpenVPN gui for synology. Although it is listed in the readme text file, we had mistakenly thought that OpenVPN connect was a new version of the software that was released. Instead they appear to be two separate pieces of software for two different projects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.