DS1819+. DS1513+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have set up OpenVPN on my RT2600ac. I am using that instead of the Synology SSL VPN client because I wanted to set up OpenVPN Connect so that when I start my remote computer it automatically establishes the VPN to my home.

The problem I have is the connection works fine and I can access files on my servers if I use the IP address, but it won't allow me to use the hostnames of the server. Also, if I open a word document, for example, it always opens in the protected mode as if I am not an authenticated user on the network. I am using a Synology DDNS name to connect, but was not able to figure out how to connect the certificate to the OpenVPN connect profile.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I think you're asking three questions in this paragraph, or am I mistaken?

I can access files on my servers if I use the IP address, but it won't allow me to use the hostnames of the server.
I'm not a Windows networking person, Mac only here for decades, but I think that that the OpenVPN server in SRM acts as a gateway between two different subnets and that the Windows names aren't accessible on the OpenVPN client subnet. You could try using DNS Server to set up local resolution for a home domain and which will forward other requests to an Internet DNS server.

I open a word document, for example, it always opens in the protected mode as if I am not an authenticated user on the network
Not sure what this is related to. Are you opening this in Microsoft Word? On which platform? Maybe something to do with the MS Word.

I don't see what 'the network' has to do with an application accessing a file on a server.

I am using a Synology DDNS name to connect, but was not able to figure out how to connect the certificate to the OpenVPN connect profile.
The server certificate is usually embedded in the .ovpn file. If you open the file in a text editor you should see it at the end.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.