NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm setting up a new NAS and I selected the option to optimise the disks when creating my initial pool. It warned me it would take longer but its saying 7 hours. Can I carry on and set up my Shared Folders and install apps in the meantime?
Thanks

Is there a way to stop the optimisation?- it's saying 2 days now!

I can't recall this setting so not sure exactly what it's doing. It's probably doing low-level checks and tests, and if it doesn't stop you from using the NAS (short of rebooting it) then I would probably start using it. I wouldn't stop it. Maybe if you shared a screenshot it would jog some memories.

I can't recall this setting so not sure exactly what it's doing. It's probably doing low-level checks and tests, and if it doesn't stop you from using the NAS (short of rebooting it) then I would probably start using it. I wouldn't stop it. Maybe if you shared a screenshot it would jog some memories.
Well it's gone down to 5 hrs now so I'll let it run...I did get on anyhow and start setting up, all seems good. thanks

My optimization started creeping up to over 3000+ days...
Even a reboot didn't help because it started all over again and got slower and slower.
I found this article and made the settings change and now it running MUCH better than before with the estimated time to complete actually getting shorter, not longer.
Basically disable the memory compression and reboot!
> Control Panel
>>Hardware & Power
>>>General
>>>>Memory Compression (uncheck)
Reboot

Credit to Franklin

I'm setting up a new NAS and I selected the option to optimise the disks when creating my initial pool. It warned me it would take longer but its saying 7 hours. Can I carry on and set up my Shared Folders and install apps in the meantime?
Thanks
New user reading this long after original post.
You can DEFINITELY set up shared folders and install apps even while the background optimization (whatever that is) is running.
Had a power issue with my DS418. As a result 3 of 4 perfectly functional drives showed a variety of crashed and partition failures (while the SMART testing showed disks were "healthy".
Did a factory reset as an alternative to purchasing new drives. Optimization running in background...but file and storage functions are working fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back