DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have my music in a folder in my home directory on my DS. I'd like to expose it as read-only folder to my Ubuntu server on the local network. The ubuntu server will serve up those files via plex. I'm hoping you can help me figure out what my options are. I'd prefer to not have the DS do any sort of pushing, rsync'ing, etc, and would like to offload all that to the ubuntu box. So, with those requirements... i can imagine exposing an smb read-only share perhaps, or maybe doing rsync, though apparently only admin users have access to ssh on the synology box? so, not sure i could run rsync on the ubuntu box, pulling files over via an ssh connection... Any other thoughts?

Many thanks....

Thanks Rusty, that'd be a good solution. One issue is that my music folder is a subfolder in my home share. Is there any way to make an NFS share on a subfolder? Or, perhaps cloning the subfolder into the root directory of a music share would be the way to go? Not sure, thoughts welcome...

Upvote 0
Is there any way to make an NFS share on a subfolder?
Not as far as I know.

Or, perhaps cloning the subfolder into the root directory of a music share would be the way to go?
Try and so a soft/hard symlink towards a root folder and then set up NFS permission on that folder. Haven't tried that as well, so maybe best to test with a smaller sample of data in a temp folder towards a temp root folder and not use your actual locations just yet.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.