Options to back up entire NAS

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a new DS923+ and I'm trying to figure out what the best way of backing up is.

I have 3 drives with 6 TB each in SHR which I use as my main storage pool. I have the 4th slot occupied with a 10TB drive which has the sole purpose of backing up the main storage pool.

I set up Hyper Backup, but this is going painfully slow (~60 MB/s). It will take forever to generate my first backup and I'm worried about how much time it will take to generate subsequent backups.

Is there a better way to back up when I'm backing up straight into a bay in the NAS? I could go in there every once in a while and just copy and paste the files, but I was hoping for something a bit more sophisticated. Right now I have 2.6 TB of data and it is looking like it is going to take at least 3 days to make the initial backup.

The initial backup takes time, all later backups are incremental and should be finished in minutes.

In the definition of backup, an extra disk in your NAS is not a true backup, ransomware, fire, theft, dropping the nas will all delete your data plus the backup.
It is always advised to backup the data that you really do not want to loose, to an offsite location.

Thanks. I plan to have a backup inside the NAS and then generate a second backup to the cloud. I'm just waiting for this backup to finish so I can start/schedule the cloud one. I was just wondering why the initial process is so slow, considering these drives can hit 200 MB/s or so.

Should I move the backup file generated by Hyper Backup to the cloud or is it advisable to generate a backup from scratch? Also, what would be the best way to know that these backups are coming out fine without actually importing them? Is there a way to know for sure that the backup file I will be left with will absolutely work to recover in case a disaster happens?

The proces of generating a backup file is much more than a copy at 200MB/s, there is compression, indexing, preparing for versioning and the like. That is why it is slower.
Copying the many TB file to the cloud is not ok. Imagine you changed one file that is added to the backup file in 1 minute. And then copy a 5 TB file to the cloud ?

my 2 cents:
rethink the strategy first.
what frequency is needed? Do you need a daily backup of ALL data? Probably not. there will be a lot of data that never changes, just add some Files now and then. Probably you do not need versioning there as well.
Create a separate HB task for this data at eg weekly or monthly schedule.

then fast movers, your mail, xlsx, docx whatever may change daily. setup a daily, versioned (decide how many days, weeks, months you like to go back) and setup a daily schedule.

decide on other schedules needed, like in between ( photos, ..).

then decide where to put these files.
HB has some native cloud connections like C2 and hidrive, that are suitable for the daily backups. you can run the daily one to your own internal disk and to the cloud.
for the slow movers you might consider idrive, they have mobile backup possibility as well.

or, if you have a trusted friend/ family that can host a NAS, cross backup the two using eg HB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.