Our friends from Q have been asked to stop port forwarding

Currently reading
Our friends from Q have been asked to stop port forwarding

the only port that an attacker can see on my sites from the WAN is the port for IKE2 S2S tunnels, which are fixed only for specified IP addresses/domains.
regularly inspected by nmap check + Shodan and similar services

And again, it seems like an endless list of vulnerabilities.

It has been rather quiet for half a year, but our Friends from Q are target again:

Ok. If I only access it remotely via QC, with Drive or DS FIle or DS Cam, and no ports are forwarded in router…. Does this mean I should consider myself as a cloud or not?
(I already have DHCP and 90% of LAN IP’s Blocked from NAS access).
Let's say that you go on vacation and access your files remotely while on vacation then that can be called the cloud.

If a NAS is used remotely then it's considered to be in the cloud. All cloud refers to is something that is not stored locally.
this statement makes no sense. I have 3 NAS boxes behind my router's firewall. I access them while outside of my home network all the time. They are not "in the cloud"

Run security advisor, implement 2FA for admin accounts at least, implement strong passwords, open up ports only as needed, disable uPnP on your router.

this statement makes no sense. I have 3 NAS boxes behind my router's firewall. I access them while outside of my home network all the time. They are not "in the cloud"
Misconception that people make that they think the cloud refers to a physical thing, when it's not, similar to back in the 90's when the internet was referred to as the information superhighway. Also people mix up between the cloud and a cloud service.

cloud storage and services run on physical devices...it is WHERE those devices are that defines public vs private.
I think you might get stopped by security if you call a data centre a public building, it's all private. The cloud refers to the data travelling over the internet rather than it's physical storage medium.

the only people able to access the data stored on my NAS boxes are controlled by me. BIG difference.
In my day, that was called a Sysop and no difference, it just means you are giving your self permissions, but NAS boxes can be multi-user, it all depends on the use case, but it's no different from a NAS sitting at home to a server in a data centre.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.