Out of curiosity, would you use a NAS for 50Tb of media storage?

Currently reading
Out of curiosity, would you use a NAS for 50Tb of media storage?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I came across a guy on another forum that says he has over 50Tb of family videos and pics stored across 25 3-Tb drives that he currently manually swaps out when needed. He was talking about getting a used enterprise server. I don't know if he was hoping to just drop the drives into a 30- or 40-bay server without reformatting or what, but I was curious about the feasibility of using a NAS with big drives instead.

It depends a bit for the use-case... :)

I must first say it sounds like an awful lot. But then again, it's none of my business.

but I was curious about the feasibility of using a NAS with big drives instead.
Well I know from my preffered local hardware shop I can get 18TB IronWolfs disks. So I would need 4 of these disks for SHR(2) and have atleast a 4bay NAS (let's take a DS920+ for scalability) .

Or go for smaller disks and get a DS1820+ beast, stack up enough disks in it to fit 50TB :)

But don't attempt to Drive sync this to a backup NAS. Way to much data for any sync software.

Also, probaly make good use of incremental or smart cycle backups. That'll also be needed.

Feasible? I would say so.
Expensive? Hell yea!

I don't know if he was hoping to just drop the drives into a 30- or 40-bay server without reformatting or what,
That is really asking for trouble... :)
This requires something like an 'over-the-wire' migration.

I must first say it sounds like an awful lot. But then again, it's none of my business.
😂

Could be MPEG video from DVI camcorders then accelerating through to 1080p and 4k now. At their times they all took a lot of storage.

Feasible? I would say so.
Expensive? Hell yea!
If he's got 25 x 3Tb drives then I guess he's bought these over many years as an offline backup/storage (otherwise that's a lot of USB hubs or SATA PCI cards ... or PATA??). So expense will be relative if these 3TB drives go back a few years.

If it's just to consolidate to bigger storage then WD Elements are fairly reasonable for 12-14TB. Then store the 3TB drives somewhere safe.

I've been thinking about this a bit more.

I've still got a PowerMac G4 400 tower with expansion card so it could hold oodles of disks internally. All PATA disks so no use now except that's where the original transfer from camcorder still lives. I've since converted home movies in iMovie, burnt DVDs, and reconverted to M4V. I've still got a hard disk (SATA) stored with various versions of these as projects, original recordings, and finalised exports. And while I can they are also on one of the NAS. Never had 50TB of recordings!

What's more useful is the M4V versions that are now on Video Station and Plex: these are the memories and whatever quality* it's the emotion that they stir that's the important bit. I also back these up to C2.

*just like photos from the 1960-70's that are blurry and an odd colour palette, it's the memory that's important.

Erm, where am I going here? Oh, get a NAS or something to help play the home movies. They'll get watched when people get the urge to do it, but if they're just on stacks of disks then it's a lot less likely and the same for digging out DVDs. But do offline storage for the originals/copies.

He apparently picks up the drives used from a local place that sells them for $5-10/Tb, but they don't get any larger than 3Tb. Sounds like he fills a drive, swaps out for a new used one. Cannot currently access them all at once. I figured he'd have to copy everything over fresh to new properly formatted drives no matter which route he went, but it sounds like he's hoping to just drop the drives in a server and have them accessible as individual drives.

Sounds like he serves as the photo repository for a large family. Claims 300k+ photos, plus video, plus scanned images and converted video. He's looking at cost saying a new NAS with drives will cost the same as the enterprise server and so he wants to go that route; I think he's a bit crazy for going with used equipment and 30 drives instead of new equipment and 5-10 drives, but I was curious what the gurus here thought.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.