Currently reading
Overall... I'm disappointed

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
When I got my NAS, I wanted to achieve a few things, which I thought were pretty basic.
  • Set up selective and complete file syncing between Windows and Android (small - 10GB)
  • Remote access to larger A/V libraries (c. 350GB and 1TB)
  • Total encryption of data on the NAS
  • Replacement of various other file sync/backup solutions like Onedrive, Tresorit, Spideroak
I think these are three very very straightforward things and all should be achievable (with a DS416slim).

However, I have failed at each step apart from the second one (remote access). This hasn't been amazing - DS Audio, DS Video, DS File... - but it has been good enough.

Regarding synchronising between Windows and Android. I wanted an app that could do both selective sync (for my phone) and complete sync (for my tablet). I tried this first with Drive. Windows client - excellent. Android - couldn't do complete synchronization with an Android device, just on-demand. And no PIN/fingerprint lock for the app. Then I tried Cloud Station Sync. Again, Windows client - excellent. Android client - looked like something from 5 years ago. Had complete sync and fingerprint scanning - success!! - but no partial sync. Fail

Total encryption of the NAS... this is just a total failure and I am absolutely amazed that this is even a problem. You can't have names/paths in an encrypted folder longer than 143 characters. What the actual f*ck? And you can't encrypt the whole NAS, just folders individually? Come on, this is ridiculous. Windows, Android, Apple - EVERYTHING is encrypted by default these days. To make matters worse, you can't encrypt the Drive folder if you are using it.

A lack of encryption is genuinely a joke, it should be standard. No encryption means someone can break into your house, pick up your NAS and then have very simple access to everything stored on it.

For the above simple reasons, I have been unable to properly move onto a NAS solution. And to be honest they are crappy reasons, they shouldn't be problems in the first place.

I know there are a lot of people here who are both very helpful (thank you already in previous threads) and passionate - so you think I have done something wrong please let me know.........

Shared Folders can be encrypted. That's pretty much everything except the OS config.

I can't encrypt the Drive folder because I have file/paths longer than 143 characters. 143 a) isn't long and b) is a really crap restriction. I use encryption on a few different platforms and have never come across such a backward limitation.

Sorry I guess I should have been more clear in the first instance. The encryption does exist - but it simply isn't good enough.

why are you so angry?
Sometimes is better read few reviews before hurry purchase.
the 143 characters limit for encr. is public long time

Just to be sure:
Your NAS is Low-end & Low-cost member of Synology NAS.
CPU Marvell Armada 385 with just 1GHz DualC 32bit. ... all the common smartphones have more performance like this CPU in your NAS. You have to count with slow performance, maxed with encryption usage.

Last, from one of lot your NAS reviews:
... It can still work as a media-serving machine, but expect to use it for music or low-res video only. Just playing 1080p video off it it takes a few minutes for the NAS to spool up, but after that videos are watchable. It's mostly designed to be a little file server.

there is just two exact solution for you:
1. a compromise to 143 characters, all the necessary shared folders can be encrypted. I hope, that except mp3 and movies, but you can :) do it.
2. or you have to go to nearest Tesco or Wallmart and ask them for Hitachi Vantara include Rean Cloud or same solution. But you have to count little bit more than 300USD.

It's based largely on how Syno invoked encryption. It's doubtful that things will change. Also... encryption is limited to shared folders (not so for QNAP).

A klutzy workaround is to zip paths that exceed the character limit, Unfortunately, unlike Windows, File Station cannot navigate through the compressed file structure.

You could use LUNs to beat the limit, or... create a Cryptomator/Veracryot/Truecrypt volume on the NAS.

On the character limit for full filepath ... I'm still using Excel 2010 (it's the company build and will move to a newer version sometime) on Windows 10. There's a maximum path limit in Excel and only takes a few nested folders and a descriptive filename to exceed this. So I have to rename files to shorter names so they can be kept in my folder structure, or for temporary files I move them to a higher folder.

It's a limit I know about and have to adapt my workflow to accommodate.

why are you so angry?
Sometimes is better read few reviews before hurry purchase.
the 143 characters limit for encr. is public long time

Just to be sure:
Your NAS is Low-end & Low-cost member of Synology NAS.
CPU Marvell Armada 385 with just 1GHz DualC 32bit. ... all the common smartphones have more performance like this CPU in your NAS. You have to count with slow performance, maxed with encryption usage.

Last, from one of lot your NAS reviews:
... It can still work as a media-serving machine, but expect to use it for music or low-res video only. Just playing 1080p video off it it takes a few minutes for the NAS to spool up, but after that videos are watchable. It's mostly designed to be a little file server.

there is just two exact solution for you:
1. a compromise to 143 characters, all the necessary shared folders can be encrypted. I hope, that except mp3 and movies, but you can :) do it.
2. or you have to go to nearest Tesco or Wallmart and ask them for Hitachi Vantara include Rean Cloud or same solution. But you have to count little bit more than 300USD.

Thanks for taking the time to reply (even though it took me another two months!). I'm not angry - just disappointed. I am still using it as an on-site backup for my desktop which was the primary purpose and for that it works well. I'm aware that I went for one of the cheap ones - I wanted a very small form factor. Otherwise other people in the house get upset :)

The encryption side is my biggest gripe really. Regarding the options you propose, ZIP folders simply isn't a solution. Buying a different NAS is admitting defeat. I can't figure out how a LUN is different to what I have currently - ie accessing all bays as a single storage area. As mentioned, I am relatively new to the NAS world, but generally tech proficient, and so just expected encryption to work seamlessly.

One thing that I'm still not 100% sure about though, is how secure my data is in the scenario that someone just walks into my house, picks up the NAS, and walks out. How easy is it for them to get the data off? If it makes a difference, it's four disks in an SHR array...?

@ed.j
What about to open again the discussion with different attitude - Gents I’m lost and help is needed.
Then you can better explain your expectations, include details. Then someone will help you, if you expect the help. Otherwise people send you just “What is your address”.

But when you still expect that Toyota Prius is same car as Ford F250 Heavy Duty, then it is a time to change your expectations.

@ed.j
What about to open again the discussion with different attitude - Gents I’m lost and help is needed.
Then you can better explain your expectations, include details. Then someone will help you, if you expect the help. Otherwise people send you just “What is your address”.

But when you still expect that Toyota Prius is same car as Ford F250 Heavy Duty, then it is a time to change your expectations.

To be honest mate I'm surprised that there aren't more people who are annoyed by the poor implementation of encryption.

I appreciate you telling me a few times that I've bought a low end NAS but even if I had bought an F250 rather than a Prius I would have the same issues - because the general capabilities of the Android apps are nowhere near as good as other sync/backup providers. And you still wouldn't be able to encrypt the Drive folder (I think). You mention performance as a key thing. I have no issues with performance.

I still use it daily, and am using more for different things, but there are still some things that I thought I would be able to do that I can't. I was just at the end of my tether with the first post.

So let’s starting with basics of data encryption in NAS.
In many cases, that raises expectations, and you naturally assume data stored on the NAS really is safe. Similarly, you also expect that, even if a hard drive in the NAS (array) fails, you'll still be able to rebuild the configuration and keep that data available.
Then you have two choices:
- encrypt entire disk, when you have sufficient power
- encrypt just selected part (shared folders), when the power is weak

Then you can count your horses under car bonet (Prius vs F250), reason:
A lack of encryption acceleration means that enabling the encryption feature absolutely destroys performance in low-end CPUs.

How this issue is solved by Synology:
encrypted database grow or shrink dynamically, by selected folders for the encryption = good message for a “smart” encryption.
Why smart encryption?
Just one question - do you need encrypt entire disk, where you have saved movies (immediately available from public resources)? Same for MP3, etc ....
I thing this is not a primary reason of encryption.

Then you have special data, selected for encryption:
- documents
- personal photos, videos
I hope - saved in independent Shared folders. See that?

Final stage:
The advantage here is that the most sensitive folders can be selectively encrypted without much effort, while other shared files or folders remain unaffected by the performance impact caused by the encryption. Also, existing files or folders can be encrypted at a later time, and not just when they're created.

Rest of recommendation you can find in our previous posts. Just need read with understanding.
Btw, if you have so sensitive data stored in your NAS, even th value of the data is bigger than the NAS and inserted disks, it is time to change your attitude to use this low end model of NAS.

Encryption no substitute for strong password:
1571395699984.png

Use 15 character password, mix of upper, lower case, symbols and numbers. You can even save it in your browser, but if someone took you NAS this is how long it would take to get at your data

Encryption no substitute for strong password:
Indeed. I stopped using a few passwords for all my needs. Now I run all in Bitwareden with 20+ long random passwords and I sleep better at night knowing that all my services are just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back