Currently reading
DSM 6.2 Package Center missing from my user account

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all, first time Synology (DS920+) user here, so excuse the newbie question, I set up both an Admin account and a regular user account. The Admin account seems to be OK, but the user account seems to be missing a LOT of things. It only has File Station. I don't see Control Panel or Package Center. What am i doing wrong? Perhaps something about the way I set up the use account? I tried deleting the user account and re-creating it, but got the same result (no Package Center, no Control Panel, only File Station). When setting up the user account, under the Applications tab, I allow all the listed applications, but that did not seem to make any difference. I would appreciate any help/advice. At this point, I can't do anything in the user account and have to use the Admin account instead.

Hello all, first time Synology (DS920+) user here, so excuse the newbie question, I set up both an Admin account and a regular user account. The Admin account seems to be OK, but the user account seems to be missing a LOT of things. It only has File Station. I don't see Control Panel or Package Center. What am i doing wrong? Perhaps something about the way I set up the use account? I tried deleting the user account and re-creating it, but got the same result (no Package Center, no Control Panel, only File Station). When setting up the user account, under the Applications tab, I allow all the listed applications, but that did not seem to make any difference. I would appreciate any help/advice. At this point, I can't do anything in the user account and have to use the Admin account instead.
Welcome.

Is this on DSM 6.2.x or DSM 7?

Upvote 0
Would I do that as the Admin, using the Users app(?) Thanks Rusty for putting up with all these beginners questions!

Upvote 0
You would typically use the Users and / or Groups app in Control Panel, yes.
It might be a good time to point you a nice series of videos referenced here by a chap who is both very informative and clear. Parts 8, 10 & 11 might be suitable for you at this stage. There are lots of videos in the series with "one way" to set up your NAS.
There is also a short series often referenced here for setting up your NAS, one of the partners of these forums at blackvoid. Less directly relevant for your exact question here, but a good general resource that covers a variety of aspects of setting up.

Upvote 0
You would typically use the Users and / or Groups app in Control Panel, yes.
It might be a good time to point you a nice series of videos referenced here by a chap who is both very informative and clear. Parts 8, 10 & 11 might be suitable for you at this stage. There are lots of videos in the series with "one way" to set up your NAS.
There is also a short series often referenced here for setting up your NAS, one of the partners of these forums at blackvoid. Less directly relevant for your exact question here, but a good general resource that covers a variety of aspects of setting up.
Thank you silverj. I actually just discovered mydoodads on Youtube and have been viewing some of his videos. I was not aware of the blackvoid site before, so thanks for introducing me to them also!

As a new member to synoforum, I feel very welcomed. I unfortunately can't say the same for the synology.com forum, where my first post there got a response ridiculing me for being a newbie, instead of giving me useful advice or help :(

Upvote 0
This forum was started shortly after the new community site was up mostly for the horrible setup and missing features.

Regarding your newbie status, don’t worry about it, we do not tolerate aggressive behavior here or trolling of any kind.

Hope your positive experience here will continue further ;).

Upvote 0
This forum was started shortly after the new community site was up mostly for the horrible setup and missing features.

Regarding your newbie status, don’t worry about it, we do not tolerate aggressive behavior here or trolling of any kind.

Hope your positive experience here will continue further ;).

Thanks Rusty, I hope to learn a lot from synoforum and be an active participant (mostly asking question for now :)

The person who ridiculed me on the synology.com forum did it in a very devious way, perhaps to evade being caught by the mods. This is what he said: "Here is your answer: link". When I clicked on the link, that brought me to a page with all the derisive comments.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.