1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Has anyone tried paperless-ng?

It's a nicer fork of paperless.

Did you manage to install it?
I'm looking at the documentation. Seems doable but i still didn't try it.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Of course, now that I'm in it won't work
So you have logged into the UI with your new account? It won't work means what exactly?
I had assumed that once I had it open there'd be a place in the application to select the folders I wanted to use
By this, you mean what exactly?

Upvote 0

NAS Newbie

Subscriber
NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So you have logged into the UI with your new account? It won't work means what exactly?

By this, you mean what exactly?

Sorry, should have given details. When I drag a file to be analyzed into the "in" box, it gives me a generic error and won't process. I assume this is because it doesn't know where to store the file once it has been processed. I didn't create the "consume" folders or anything else mentioned in the tutorial because I assumed I could create them once I was in the Paperless UI like I'd be able to for a normal application. Paperless itself is working fine; I can change settings and everything. I think it just doesn't know where to store it's data.

Upvote 0

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Sorry, should have given details. When I drag a file to be analyzed into the "in" box, it gives me a generic error and won't process. I assume this is because it doesn't know where to store the file once it has been processed. I didn't create the "consume" folders or anything else mentioned in the tutorial because I assumed I could create them once I was in the Paperless UI like I'd be able to for a normal application. Paperless itself is working fine; I can change settings and everything. I think it just doesn't know where to store it's data.
Correct you need 4 mapping locations on that container, something like this:

/volume1/docker/paperlessng/consume/usr/src/paperless/consume
/volume1/docker/paperlessng/export/usr/src/paperless/export
/volume1/docker/paperlessng/media/usr/src/paperless/media
/volume1/docker/paperlessng/data/usr/src/paperless/data

The left side is your NAS location, right are the paths that Paperless uses. Configure those and try it out.

Upvote 0

NAS Newbie

Subscriber
NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Thanks. A bunch more questions:
1. Are the folders created via file station in dsm, or do they have to be created via ssh?
2. Do I actually have to map the right side to the left side, or is the right side already created with the environment variables and they just need a corresponding target? My Paperless environment variables in docker are shown below.
3. If created via ssh, are they visible via file station once created?
4. Can it be set up to export documents to different folders? ie, a Business folder and a Personal folder. For my workflow outside of the paperless app, it'd be nice to be able to differentiate.
5. Do the folders have to be on Volume 1?

Attachments

• 1610116929423.png
    1610116929423.png
    8 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
1. Are the folders created via file station in dsm, or do they have to be created via ssh?
You can create your folders using ssh or file station

2. Do I actually have to map the right side to the left side, or is the right side already created with the environment variables and they just need a corresponding target? My Paperless environment variables in docker are shown below.
Left side needs to be mapped to the right side. Ignore those parameters that are automatically generated also do not change those.

3. If created via ssh, are they visible via file station once created?
Not sure what you are referring to but data seen via ssh will be visible via file station (if they are hosted on yours user accessible volume)

4. Can it be set up to export documents to different folders? ie, a Business folder and a Personal folder. For my workflow outside of the paperless app, it'd be nice to be able to differentiate.
End files can be mapped to any folder on your NAS that you want. So map “media” folder where you want.

Do the folders have to be on Volume 1?
nope

Upvote 0
Hello! Jonas from Paperless-ng here.

Apparently there's some confusion about why I'm using docker-compose and why it's the recommended way to install and run paperless. Let me shed some light on this and hopefully clear up some of your questions.
  • The docker images as you see it in your interface contains Paperless and all of its direct dependencies. That includes all binaries that are directly required for paperless to start (!).
  • Paperless depends on an external service called redis. This is a message broker, and paperless uses that for inter process communication. Inside the image, there's a process that does document consumption and a process that serves the web page, and redis forwards messages between these processes (example: the webserver communicates "hey, I've got a new file, please process that in the background!" to the consumer).
  • Without redis, paperless does not work and you see that generic error that something went wrong when uploading documents (which is somewhat more clearer in recent versions).
  • redis is not distributed with the paperless docker image for the same reason that postgresql is not distributed with paperless: Some users wish to use their existing infrastructure, and these don't want to have two redis servers running on the same machine for no reason.
Now here's where this docker compose thing comes into play.
  • The docker compose files define multiple images that are supposed to be run together. The paperless docker compose files define two (three) services: the core paperless service, the redis service, and optionally the postgresql service.
  • Docker compose also creates a private network for these services, so that they can all communicate with each other, isolated from the rest of the machine. If you read into the compose files, you see some weird URL for redis ("redis://broker:6379"). This host name is generated by docker compose and only valid inside this private network.
  • Docker compose also defines where to mount volumes inside the container, so that data is not lost between restarts.
With docker compose, its pretty fail-proof to get this running. It's certainly possible without, but you have to take care of everything that would otherwise be done by docker compose.

That said, I don't have a NAS and don't know anything about these synology devices or their interface.

Upvote 0

NAS Newbie

Subscriber
NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Apparently there's some confusion

If you are referring to my posts, it is because I'm easily confused ;). I'm just very green at docker. I see shiny things that I want to do but don't know how to do them properly. Working on educating myself some more and then I'll give it another shot. Thanks for all the info though.

Upvote 0
I'm already running redis docker for another service. Will that same redis docker support Paperless-ng.
As long as it's at least version 5, I don't see why not. You'll need to make sure that both containers run on a network that allows paperless to connect to redis. By default, paperless tries to connect to redis on localhost:6379; if that's not where redis is located, you need to provide the PAPERLESS_REDIS environment variable in the form "redis://<host>:<port>".

Upvote 0
NAS
DS1010+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
  4. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi All,
if that can help, I have shared the way to have it working with synology docker

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads