Password timer?

Currently reading
Password timer?

NAS
cafe in the Philippines
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Im opening a cafe in the philippines
1. Password set to 1 hr and cannot be reused (option to continue)
2. Password set to 5 hrs and cannot be reused (option to continue)
3. Password set to unlimited

Person A buys coffee. A gets 1 hr free internet. A cannot log in again to gain another 1 hr of internet (option to extend available?)

This allows me to control the use of internet and space at my cafe by limiting the use of free internet.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!! Is this the right router or should I get something else?

Im opening a cafe in the philippines
1. Password set to 1 hr and cannot be reused (option to continue)
2. Password set to 5 hrs and cannot be reused (option to continue)
3. Password set to unlimited

Person A buys coffee. A gets 1 hr free internet. A cannot log in again to gain another 1 hr of internet (option to extend available?)

This allows me to control the use of internet and space at my cafe by limiting the use of free internet.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!! Is this the right router or should I get something else?
Not sure when Syno have such feature. And if yes, if there are such plenteous possibilities as is in Unifi.
Ubiquiti Unifi, works perfect. Customized Hot spot portal with vouchers issued by network “owner” from 1 minute usage (customized by minutes, hours, days, etc), separate for single person or in your case for group (single voucher for each in whole table). Include self serving payment portal (PayPal) and many more.
Voucher simple issued by iOS/Android APP or by web portal.
Customized by AngularJS framework.

Not sure when Syno have such feature. And if yes, if there are such plenteous possibilities as is in Unifi.
Ubiquiti Unifi, works perfect. Customized Hot spot portal with vouchers issued by network “owner” from 1 minute usage (customized by minutes, hours, days, etc), separate for single person or in your case for group (single voucher for each in whole table). Include self serving payment portal (PayPal) and many more.
Voucher simple issued by iOS/Android APP or by web portal.
Customized by AngularJS framework.

I was told to buy the following from Unifi:
1) Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO, 3dBi, 22dBm, 450Mbps, 3x3 @ 2. 4GHz & 3dBi, 22dBm, 1300Mbps, 3x3 @ 5GHz, 2xGigabit, 122m
2) UBNT Networks Ubiquiti (UC-CK) Secure UniFi Controller Hybrid Cloud Key, Stand-Alone UniFi Controller Hardware
4) POE-48-24W-G

will these work?

When your caffee bar is not bigger than 150m2 and there are no barriers like separating concrete walls then:
1. change AP AC Pro to this one: Unifi Nano HD ... better for more users (MU-MIMO). Put it on center of ceiling.
If there are some barriers you have to count with next box and install them in oposite corners (but in this case better for wall, than for ceiling) to be able achieve better coverage.

2. The Hybrid Cloud Key is mandatory in this scenario:
- you don’t have single computer that is non-stop running during opening hours - useful for the independent Controller in LAN
- same, if you don’t have NAS, e.g. Synology NAS (local or remotely connected)
... then you need this Unifi cloud key for a Unifi controller running, also for the Hot spot portal and management.

3. Unifi Security Gateway (USG). Mandatory router. It is up to your environment, what version:
- what is your WAN connection parameters, medium (ethernet, FTTx, xDSL, ...), D/U
- what is amount of max. expected users connected (in peak time) in same time to the LAN?
- do you need an extra security for your LAN?
Then the answer will stay in USG or move to USG Pro (the dif. is 90Euro, but the performance is huge)

4. Switch - there doesn’t exist 24W and 48ports PoE switch in Ubiquiti
Right switch from this vendor is based on your LAN architecture, mandatory question:
- how many LAN devices you will connect to switch + router (ports)
- how many of them need the PoE - AP only or you will use (in future) more PoE devices. What is max. Power consumption of the PoE for future (target) architecture?
- then a lot of questions you need answer for better specification of final candidate for the switch. But the first two answer will provide 90% of the accuracy of final stage target.
An example: single NanoHD AP will eat 10.5W in peak.
You can start from 8 ports/60W switch, but it is up to your target architecture.

When your caffee bar is not bigger than 150m2 and there are no barriers like separating concrete walls then:
1. change AP AC Pro to this one: Unifi Nano HD ... better for more users (MU-MIMO). Put it on center of ceiling.
If there are some barriers you have to count with next box and install them in oposite corners (but in this case better for wall, than for ceiling) to be able achieve better coverage.

2. The Hybrid Cloud Key is mandatory in this scenario:
- you don’t have single computer that is non-stop running during opening hours - useful for the independent Controller in LAN
- same, if you don’t have NAS, e.g. Synology NAS (local or remotely connected)
... then you need this Unifi cloud key for a Unifi controller running, also for the Hot spot portal and management.

3. Unifi Security Gateway (USG). Mandatory router. It is up to your environment, what version:
- what is your WAN connection parameters, medium (ethernet, FTTx, xDSL, ...), D/U
- what is amount of max. expected users connected (in peak time) in same time to the LAN?
- do you need an extra security for your LAN?
Then the answer will stay in USG or move to USG Pro (the dif. is 90Euro, but the performance is huge)

4. Switch - there doesn’t exist 24W and 48ports PoE switch in Ubiquiti
Right switch from this vendor is based on your LAN architecture, mandatory question:
- how many LAN devices you will connect to switch + router (ports)
- how many of them need the PoE - AP only or you will use (in future) more PoE devices. What is max. Power consumption of the PoE for future (target) architecture?
- then a lot of questions you need answer for better specification of final candidate for the switch. But the first two answer will provide 90% of the accuracy of final stage target.
An example: single NanoHD AP will eat 10.5W in peak.
You can start from 8 ports/60W switch, but it is up to your target architecture.

Wow thanks for this!
I'll probably hire a network person. My cafe is about 150sqm and no walls. Primarily i want to be able to provide internet service but with restriction. Ideally 1 hr of use=1 coffee (with option to renew) or you stay longer and dine = longer internet use. This is the premise of the internet connection in order for me to control the people who dine or just want to hang and use the free wifi.
I honestly do not understand the technology but I bet I can find someone in Manila to help me set it up.
I will probably only get 15mbps speed of internet to be honest (it sucks!) So I don't want to overdo what to buy especially if it is not necessary considering the speed of the internet service.

So do i buy everything you suggested? Can you please tell me the minimum items to buy without overdoing it..

thank you, Richie

Richie - I really recommend you to ask a help from someone who understand what all the points mean. You will save a time and finally cost.
Make a few cups of coffee, feew A4 paper sheets, pencil and try to imagine what you would like to provide not just Today, but next year also.
You don’t need a spend huge cost for the startup, but you need to think, that there is a mandatory point for - don’t save from a scratch:
- network cables- use Cat 5e (no Cat5), in my country you can’t purchase lowest level than Cat 5e, but just to be sure. I don’t know how is it in yours. You don’t need Cat6 or Cat7, follow your case.
- STP cables (shielded), especialy for PoE usage between switch and AP.
- ask your network guy about knowledge of Teistedpair cable pairs switching for PoE purpose. Just for control if you found network guy or coffee eater only.
- don’t purchase basic AP if there is a chance to get better WAN speed connection (to future). If there is no chance, purchase the lowest, because in your case it doesn’t matter).

In your case it is suitable to use (minimalist ver):
- USG router (not need the PRO ver)
- UniFi Cloud Key
- UniFi switch 8-60W (for max. 5 devices connected by cable, incl. the AP)
- UniFi AP up to your WAN future. But nanoHD is the candidate for it’s next gen specification.

Cheers!

Richie - I really recommend you to ask a help from someone who understand what all the points mean. You will save a time and finally cost.
Make a few cups of coffee, feew A4 paper sheets, pencil and try to imagine what you would like to provide not just Today, but next year also.
You don’t need a spend huge cost for the startup, but you need to think, that there is a mandatory point for - don’t save from a scratch:
- network cables- use Cat 5e (no Cat5), in my country you can’t purchase lowest level than Cat 5e, but just to be sure. I don’t know how is it in yours. You don’t need Cat6 or Cat7, follow your case.
- STP cables (shielded), especialy for PoE usage between switch and AP.
- ask your network guy about knowledge of Teistedpair cable pairs switching for PoE purpose. Just for control if you found network guy or coffee eater only.
- don’t purchase basic AP if there is a chance to get better WAN speed connection (to future). If there is no chance, purchase the lowest, because in your case it doesn’t matter).

In your case it is suitable to use (minimalist ver):
- USG router (not need the PRO ver)
- UniFi Cloud Key
- UniFi switch 8-60W (for max. 5 devices connected by cable, incl. the AP)
- UniFi AP up to your WAN future. But nanoHD is the candidate for it’s next gen specification.

Cheers!

THANK you!

What is the difference in functionality between Synology and Unifi. Will one give me the ability to issue a password set for 1 hour only and not renew or be used again? Also if they sign in again with the same password that same password wont work because it has been used. Vice versa I want to be able to issue a password with the ability to extend for another hour or unlimited use. Ideally this is what I want to happen but I gather it may not be possible. Will unifi or synology perform what i just described? If not which of the 2 system is my best bet?

Thanks! Richie

In Unifi you can set various kind of entry.
In Hotspot gateway, there is an automatic generator for a Pascode. The Pascode is for limited time (minutes, hours, days) or for unlimited use - up to they/your decision. For single person or for group (defined). After the expiration, no one is able to use it for the connection. Even you van easy block user (Pascode) when someone do unauthorised activity (by UniFi Deep Packet Inspection evaluation), e.g. prohibited web sites, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.