Resource icon

Tutorial Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method mrm V6

No permission to download

Currently reading
Tutorial Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method

NAS
DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
wizard99 submitted a new resource:

Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "hidden" Memtest Results - An easier method to obtain the results of your Memory Test without using Linux and PuTTY.......

Performing Synology Memory Test and Extracting “Memtest” Results….. v5

Installing OEM and Non-OEM Memory Modules in your Synology is fairly easy, but not every After-Market Module available may be completely compatible so it is good practice to Test it via the Synology Memory Test. This Test can also be performed on Memory Modules installed by the factory and non-removeable.

After installing the additional Memory Module(s) on your...

Read more about this resource...

NAS
DS415+, DS620Slim
Router
  1. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I followed your MemTest description on my DS415+ (running DSM 7.0-41890) which I have upgraded to 8 Gig of Ram. My DS is running with a fixed IP address, when you run the memory test it reboots and uses DHCP to get a new IP, you can see this on the Synology Assistant window. Don't panic, it reverts to the normal configuration when it reboots again at the end of the test. The Status light was flashing green while the Memory test was running, it finished over-night so I didn't see it reboot.

I use a Mac so some of your method is not applicable, but by reading between the lines I did find the "MemTest Passed messages in /var/log/messages in the extracted log files. I used Keka to extract the debug.dat file. Once extracted it is straightforward to navigate through the extracted directories in the debug folder to debug/dsm/var/log. Shame the only output is this "Passed" message, but no news is good news...

Instead of Notepad++ (a program I have used on Windows for many years) I use Atom on the Mac. It is not so versatile as Notepad++ but I'm getting used to it!

Thanks for posting this method.

NAS
DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Thank you malkie0831 for taking the time to perform the test... MAC procedures definitely need a separate procedure based on your findings. Getting a new IP address will happen under certain other changes too as I learned. Because I MAP my drive for 6 different folders so I can easily access the NAS and use it also for Allway Sync + Macrium for Backup, losing your IP Address and having to change Mapped drives each time would be a real pain. I just received a few more bits about MEMTEST from Synology and will be posting them soon...Stay tuned and thanks for watching!

NAS
DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
wizard99 updated Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method with a new update entry:

Additional Info from Synology: 1) Error Codes for Test Fail 2) MAC Procedure Required

1) I've added new information regarding Failed Test Results through Memtest. Failed Tests do generate a line to indicate such and provide an Error Code. Unfortunately "No Documentation Exists that provide Error Code explanation" at this time....

"This is likely because the remedial action for a failed test is the same regardless of error: to replace the memory if it's expansion or non-Synology memory, and to open an RMA if it's with the default memory included with a system and the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.