Resource icon

Tutorial Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method mrm V6

No permission to download

Currently reading
Tutorial Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method

NAS
DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
wizard99 submitted a new resource:

Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "hidden" Memtest Results - An easier method to obtain the results of your Memory Test without using Linux and PuTTY.......

Performing Synology Memory Test and Extracting “Memtest” Results….. v5

Installing OEM and Non-OEM Memory Modules in your Synology is fairly easy, but not every After-Market Module available may be completely compatible so it is good practice to Test it via the Synology Memory Test. This Test can also be performed on Memory Modules installed by the factory and non-removeable.

After installing the additional Memory Module(s) on your...

Read more about this resource...

I followed your MemTest description on my DS415+ (running DSM 7.0-41890) which I have upgraded to 8 Gig of Ram. My DS is running with a fixed IP address, when you run the memory test it reboots and uses DHCP to get a new IP, you can see this on the Synology Assistant window. Don't panic, it reverts to the normal configuration when it reboots again at the end of the test. The Status light was flashing green while the Memory test was running, it finished over-night so I didn't see it reboot.

I use a Mac so some of your method is not applicable, but by reading between the lines I did find the "MemTest Passed messages in /var/log/messages in the extracted log files. I used Keka to extract the debug.dat file. Once extracted it is straightforward to navigate through the extracted directories in the debug folder to debug/dsm/var/log. Shame the only output is this "Passed" message, but no news is good news...

Instead of Notepad++ (a program I have used on Windows for many years) I use Atom on the Mac. It is not so versatile as Notepad++ but I'm getting used to it!

Thanks for posting this method.

Thank you malkie0831 for taking the time to perform the test... MAC procedures definitely need a separate procedure based on your findings. Getting a new IP address will happen under certain other changes too as I learned. Because I MAP my drive for 6 different folders so I can easily access the NAS and use it also for Allway Sync + Macrium for Backup, losing your IP Address and having to change Mapped drives each time would be a real pain. I just received a few more bits about MEMTEST from Synology and will be posting them soon...Stay tuned and thanks for watching!

wizard99 updated Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method with a new update entry:

Additional Info from Synology: 1) Error Codes for Test Fail 2) MAC Procedure Required

1) I've added new information regarding Failed Test Results through Memtest. Failed Tests do generate a line to indicate such and provide an Error Code. Unfortunately "No Documentation Exists that provide Error Code explanation" at this time....

"This is likely because the remedial action for a failed test is the same regardless of error: to replace the memory if it's expansion or non-Synology memory, and to open an RMA if it's with the default memory included with a system and the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Tested it on an RS2414+ with DSM 7.0.1-42218 and worked like a charm!!! thanks for this needed to make sure the non-OEM ram worked and it does without flaws now will start testing with bigger modules!!!

Tested it on an RS2414+ with DSM 7.0.1-42218 and worked like a charm!!! thanks for this needed to make sure the non-OEM ram worked and it does without flaws now will start testing with bigger modules!!!
Your note of success was most appreciated.... and do post an update after your "bigger module" test. Those searching for this question will benefit from your results. Though I only use a 920+, the few 16GB modules I tried failed. I had to settle on adding only 4GB to obtain 8 GB Max. Hopefully yours will allow more....

Another method: (Only tested on DS1821+, DS1621+, and DS1520+ should work on other models)

DS1821+ Synology Memory test results (16GB+org 4GB)
(SSH - Putty)

admin@NASMV:/$ sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep Memtest
Password:
2022-02-27T22: 38 : 52-05 : 00 NASMV findhostd[16713]: ucil_fhost.c:1207 Memtest; passed
2022-02-27T22: 38 : 52-05 : 00 NASMV findhosrd[16804]: ucil_fhost.c:1207 Memtest; passed
2022-02-27T22: 38 : 52-05 : 00 NASMV findhostd[16732]: ucil_fhost.c:1207 Memtest; passed
2022-02-28T16: 59 : 05-05 : 00 NASMV findhostd[13678]: útil_fhost.c:1207 Memtest; passed

Thanks for the instructions. Though in the instructions you use the file name "packages.list" where it should be "package_status.list". Took me a while to work it out because I didn't look at the pics. The correct file is highlighted in pic3.

wizard99 submitted a new resource:

Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "hidden" Memtest Results - An easier method to obtain the results of your Memory Test without using Linux and PuTTY.......

Read more about this resource...
An excellent article with great links and photos. However, something has changed since your post. We are not at DSM 7.2 and memtest does not appear. I have not been successful in finding the results of the memory test, but since it came back up with no errors, I guess I can assume it went well. The second machine is still grinding away.

Thank you lshantz for the kind words.....

Yes... it's been some time since I originally came up with the post out of necessity, and I've not used the method described on any new versions.... but you say "memtest" does not appear.

Synology may have removed or blocked access.

Have you tried the "Memory test" located in the Synology Assistant? You won't get a positive feedback if Passed, just if it fails to my recollection.

I'll have ty try the MemTest on my system to see if I get the same result.

Cheers!

Memory Test.jpg

Yes, I did do as you suggested and it just came back up with no errors. The second server has been rebooting itself every night and is doing a mem test now. I suspect bad memory.
So I guess we can assume all is well with the first one.
I did do a:
cat synoinfo.conf.bad|grep mem
mem_max_mb="49152"
mem_min_mb="16384"
supportmemtest="yes"
But that is all I found in the /var/log area.

I'm assuming this is not "new" memory you recently installed..... And if it's not soldered in, may I suggest you remove it and clean the contacts and re-insert.... Hopefully if it is the Memory, then that may be enough to resolve the issue. Just at night for the Re-Boot? Strange that is occurring at the same time. Possible Power Supply going bad?

Yes, brand new memory. I also put in a 10gbps NIC. Not soldered. I'm afraid it is the power supply. Maybe drawing just enough power that it is not happy. I am running 11 drives right now. So hoping it is memory. I can likely just return it as bad, if it is. Fingers crossed. It is odd that it seems to be happening between midnight and about 1:00AM. I have suspended all backups and major stress activities. Not running hot.. So still in the search phase. Cleaning the contacts can't hurt, but will see what this memory test shows up. It has been hung at 38.55% for quite some time. So not a good sign.

If you can't pin down the issue, you might try removing the new NIC Card and disconnect all external cabling and see if it fails overnight, and then reinstall the old memory if there was any... and then try just leaving out the memory if that isolates the issue. Let us know if you locate the mystery....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.