Currently reading
Question Permissions and Finder Files on Mac

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, I'm wondering about permissions and my Synology in relation to a problem I'm having with Lightroom and finder items on a Mac. I'm not super well versed in my Synology, so this might be a very easy question to answer. I have a DS1019+ that is on my local network with a dedicated IP and I have it mount various shared folders (photo, video, home etc.) to my Mac Mini. I am the administrator of the Synology and the Mac, so there isn't a problem with changing settings if I need to tweak something.

Some files that I try to delete from the Synology shared folder through the finder won't let me delete them as the finder says:

"The operation can't be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure "Locked" is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason of which files have this problem at this point as it's not universal. But, when I do what is asked, the files are NEVER locked and permissions access shows that 'sfsurfer (Me)' has Read & Write access and that 'everyone' has No Access. This seems like a problem with a Synology setting somehow as any file that is stored on my internal hard drive or any other external hard drive I connect to it has the exact same setup and I never have any problem with them. The only way that I can delete the file on the Synology is to change 'everyone' to Read & Write.

This all came about because I was trying to import my photos from my iPhone into my Lightroom (LR) library since I use it to manage my photos, which are all stored on the Synology 'photo' shared folder. LR doesn't let you store their catalog on a network drive, so that is on my hard drive. I'm running LR 9.2.1 with OS 10.15.4 on a 2018 Mac Mini with iOS 13.4.1 on an iPhone11Pro. When I connect my iPhone11Pro, LR can see all of the photos on the phone, but when I try to import just one or two photos (or any amount), it looks to start the import process, but hangs and actually never imports anything. If I quit LR (and the import process), it tells me that "The following files were not imported because they cannot be read or the destination folder is not writeable. (1)". I can import plenty of other photos from various hard drives to the same library (the only one I use, currently containing 75K photos), so I suspect it's not a LR problem since it's occurring with other files on the Synology as well.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thanks in advance for any of them!

Were you able to figure this out? I have the same problem. The weird thing is, we have a Windows PC here that has no problem deleting the problematic file when it happens.

No, but what I ended up doing was creating a new shared folder, transferring the files and then deleting the old shared folder. Somewhere permissions got screwed up and this seemed to remedy the problem. I can't remember if it solved all the problems, but it seems like I haven't had a problem since doing this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.