Permissions issue on DS1819+ and DS1815+

NAS
DS1815+, DS1819+, DX517
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm having Permissions issues on two devices, a DS1819+ and a DS1815+.

Using a Mac, if I try to drag-and-drop folders or files into the Shared Folder I have set up on both devices, the cursor shows the "no" symbol, I assume the GUI's way of indicating Write access is not enabled.

I have mounted the Shared Folder in the Finder and logged in with the admin account on both NAS devices, and have double-checked that the admin account has Read/Write access to the Folder. I have checked in Shared Folder > Permissions and admin has Read/Write checked. I have also checked User & Group > Permissions and the admin account has Read/Write access.

What can I do to enable Write access on the two devices with the Admin account when they are already indicating they have Read/Write permission?

Solution
One new note: I just tried creating a new Shared Folder on the volume with default settings, and granted Read/Write access to all users (admin, guest, SynologyCMS), and was able to drag and drop a file from my Desktop to the new Shared Folder just fine. So it definitely seems like corrupt permissions on the existing Shared Folder. Now... how to fix them? I'm not familiar enough with UNIX commands to know the syntax, but I imagine its applying a sudo chmod command to that folder to overwrite all of the permissions?
-- post merged: --

Update: I think I solved it. In File Station, I right-clicked the Shared Folder and went to Properties, then Edit Advanced Share Permissions. Under Local Users, I was able to enable Read/Write access for...
Last edited:
I can connect to the folder as usual using either "Connect to Server" (using SMB) or in the Finder and logging in as the admin account, and I can see all the expected folders/files.

But when I drag and drop (either from my Desktop or another NAS), the cursor shows the "no" symbol when trying to drop, indicating no Write permission. I also cannot create a New Folder within the folder, the option is grayed out.

I tried creating a new User account with admin privileges, and that user also was not able to Write anything to either device.

Upvote 0
No, drag and drop doesn't work using DSM UI either. When I use File Station to open the Shared Folder and attempt to drop a file in the folder from my Desktop, I get the error, "Sorry, this user account has been assigned proper privileges to perform this action."

Upvote 0
Ok better that it is that way, as that means that something is definitely wrong with user permissions. What App permissions does that account have when viewing it over at the Users section inside Control Panel?
In the Application Privileges section of Control Panel, under Permission Viewer, the account 'admin' (the only account I have set up, and what I'm using as a login name in Mac Finder), has "Allow" for every Effective Permission, including DSM and SMB.

Looking further into Application Privileges, I did notice that for both DMS and SMB, when I go to Edit that application or package, under User > Local Users, none of the options are checked (or checkable). "Allow", "Deny" and "By IP" are all greyed out, and I cannot change their settings. I wonder if this could be part of the problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.20.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.20.09 AM.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.20.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.20.41 AM.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
File Station as well (screenshot attached). Cannot "Allow" any User access.

Under SMB > Group > Local groups, however, "Allow" is checked for all names. (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.23.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.23.43 AM.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.23.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.23.50 AM.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
Storage Manager screens all report Healthy across the board. I recently added a DX517 Expansion Unit (to both the DS-1819+ and DS-1815+), and after the Expansion to the Storage Pool was finally complete is when I started having the problems. I've been using the 1819+ and 1815+ for years without permissions issues prior to adding the Expansion Units.

The DS-1815+ is actually still in the midst of Expanding its Storage Pool and will probably be running another 24-48 hours, so my assumption is once I can figure out the fix for the 1819+, I can apply it to the 1815+ as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.30.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.30.12 AM.png
    500.8 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
Last edited:
One new note: I just tried creating a new Shared Folder on the volume with default settings, and granted Read/Write access to all users (admin, guest, SynologyCMS), and was able to drag and drop a file from my Desktop to the new Shared Folder just fine. So it definitely seems like corrupt permissions on the existing Shared Folder. Now... how to fix them? I'm not familiar enough with UNIX commands to know the syntax, but I imagine its applying a sudo chmod command to that folder to overwrite all of the permissions?

Update: I think I solved it. In File Station, I right-clicked the Shared Folder and went to Properties, then Edit Advanced Share Permissions. Under Local Users, I was able to enable Read/Write access for admin, guest, and SynologyCMS and was able to drag a drop a file to the folder in the Mac Desktop!

Upvote 0
Solution
Last edited:
I’m pretty sure what your seeing is due to using the default admin account, which you shouldn’t. The reason those boxes are greyed out is because the default permission is to allow for the admin; setting any other option would lock the default admin out.

It’s best to create a new admin account and disable the default one. You should also create an additional standar user account that you use as your daily driver. Only use the admin account (not the default one but the new one you created) when administering the nas.

I bet if you create another user, you will not have to go into the properties of a folder and mess with the permissions there. You absolutely should be able to do it from the shared folders options. Then try the drag and drop. Maybe the drag and drop doesn’t work because it was the default admin account I’m not sure of that because I’ve never touched that account.

I have many accounts that were added since inception and all of them (even my man made admin accounts).

I’ve confirmed that the reason those boxes are greyed out under file station is because those are system generated default account. I am able to check all of the boxes under app privileges for all of my users EXCEPT the default admin, guest , and synology cms, so that is functioning correctly.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.