DSM 7.1 Photo copied directly to /photo is still indexed. The same photo added via the WEB is indexed immedi

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Photo copied directly to /photo is still indexed. The same photo added via the WEB is indexed immedi

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
When I copy photos (in File Station) directly to /photo or /home/photo in "Synology Photos", the photos are indexed all the time. After 24 hours, indexing continues. The number of copied photos is 5 pieces. When I click on thumbnail of the photo it shows error "The file cannot be displayed because it is currently being indexed or converted". No matter how long I will wait.

But if I copy the same photos by web in Synology Photos, photos are indexed immediately.

Apps versions:
DSM: DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1
Synology Photos: 1.3.3-0330

Tried solutions (always the same 5 photos):
  1. Copy in DSM directly to /photo - always indexing. I am trying to Re-index option in Synology Photos, and Re-index in Control Panel -> Indexing - nothing changes, still indexing.
  2. Copy in DSM directly to /home/photo - always indexing. I am trying to Re-index option in Synology Photos, and Re-index in Control Panel -> Indexing - nothing changes, still indexing.
  3. Copy in Synology Photos by Upload Photos button. Indexed immediately. Only this way to adding photos works good.
  4. I reinstalled Synology Photos, it didn't help.
  5. I uninstalled Synology Photos and deleted /photos folder, and installed again Synology Photos - it didn`t help
  6. I tried directly connection by IP in LAN, and by domain name - same story
  7. I tried different users (admin and normal user). Not helped.
And:
I tried another photos, not taken by mobile phone, just downloaded from web. It didn`t help.

tl;dr: I have the same issue and sadly don't have a solution, but just wanted to vent … sorry this turned out to be such an incredibly long essay😬

------
I've been having this exact same problem since Synology Photos first came out, with the same finding that the only way to get photos properly "indexed" is to upload them via the web interface, whether using the file browser or drag+drop.

One bizarre discovery I made yesterday:
  • From the web interface, when you're looking at the set of thumbnails with that awful spinning circle in the corner (indicating they're not indexed), start a "slideshow" by clicking on the 3 dots "More" icon on the upper right (next to the filter icon)
  • It will start showing you a fullscreen slideshow of just the thumbnails
  • Hit 'Escape' to exit fullscreen, so that it shows the thumbnail by itself in the middle
  • Now, hovering the mouse at the top reveals a "ZOOM" icon—you can zoom this thumbnail all the way to the actual size of the image, and more!! At full resolution!
  • And, you can also see ALL the metadata of the image, if you click the "Info" icon …
  • In other words, Synology Photos HAS indexed the file, and CAN show the actual size and metadata… it just won't do it directly from the page of thumbnails, even after this slideshow method shows it's able to!
Anyway, I also spent yesterday researching and testing other self-hosted Photos apps via Docker (e.g. PhotoPrism, Photonix, Photoview, Damselfly, etc) … Honestly, Synology Photos is far better than all of them, except that this one aspect—being able to correctly index photos/videos that are directly placed into the file structure—doesn't work, which makes absolutely no sense and also makes it nonviable 😭

I don't mind uploading via the web interface … the problem is that, if you want to maintain a folder structure, then you have to first create the folders manually, then upload the images via web into those folders … i.e. you cannot just tell it which folders you want to upload, or drag & drop entire folders; you can only manually select images to be uploaded, which is difficult to keep up with when you have multiple folders of images that need to be put into the folder structure each week (say, for different events, photo shoots, sources, etc).

Interestingly, the photos that were in the folder structure to begin with when Synology Photos was installed—80,000+ images in a dense directory tree—THOSE were indexed properly! And it SEES every new folder & image in the tree, it just can't index (or 're-index') them for some reason, sigh …

Actually I was going to spend today moving all the photos out, uninstalling Synology Photos, and then trying to reinstall and start over, but I see you've already done that so I guess never mind with that … I think I'm just gonna spring for a higher Google Photos tier at this point—sad, because Synology Photos is otherwise perfect :cry:

[Oh and I wanted to add that I haven't gone the Synology Support route because in past experience, it's always the same—they require remote admin access, which means turning off 2-factor (and leaving it off for the duration of the ticket, which might be a week or two), after which anonymous tech support pokes around (with admin access to ALL my data) and then inevitably tells me that my hard drives aren't certified by Synology, and neither is the RAM I put in there, so they suspect that's the issue and close the ticket.]

I am experiencing a similar problem on my DS220J NAS. After setting up the NAS last week I first transferred all my data - including photo and videos - to the DS220J.

My file structure is dense but the main folder was and still is PHOTO and within this structure there are many other folders and sub-folders.

I installed the Synology photo on the NAS and also Vi0deo Station for the videos. (Had a problem with JFIF files which is currently being discussed in another thread. But now after a number of days my NAS is still indexing files at the rate of }/- 6000 a day! But it appears to have found more than 100.000 files to index but I donot think I have that many photos.

Do-not understand what the NAS is doing and also donot understand the file structure. I see:
If my own my own shared folder = USER then I see amongst other things
USER > Photo

But I also see at the highest level 2 folders HOME and HOME2
Under HOME I see a folders HOME > PHOTO and HOME>VIDEO
Under HOM2 I see a folder for every user on my NAS

Unfortunately cannot start Filemanager to make a screenshot as NAS is EXTREMLY slow!

Please except my apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. Will correct the post if someone can tell me where to post too.

Last edited:
I contacted to Support Team and they told me to install the latest version of DSM (from Website not from Control Panel) and restart DSM and Synology Photos started working properly.
I download DSM from: Download Center - download | Synology Inc.
1674049424517.png

I'm having issues keeping track of file changes/additions.
I sort/manage my photos in Lightroom, where I set the catalog preference to write metadata immediately into the file.
Usually, Synology Photos recognizes the changed metadata of my photos.
(When I change metadata using Synology Photos, I just have to synchronize my Lightroom Library.)

For some reason, not all photos are updated correctly in Synology Photos (tho I can check with Preview.app the keywords are actually written into the file).
It seems I have to force re-index the photos, but doing so using the Web interface (Settings > Personal/Shared Space > Re-index) did not solve the problem.

That's why I came across this article:
which actually seems to have solved my problem (re-indexing is still in progress).

It does force re-indexing the "Marius-way", using Task Scheduler to run a root command ;)

Maybe this also solves your initial problem.
Best regards,
marko

I'm having issues keeping track of file changes/additions.
I sort/manage my photos in Lightroom, where I set the catalog preference to write metadata immediately into the file.
Usually, Synology Photos recognizes the changed metadata of my photos.
(When I change metadata using Synology Photos, I just have to synchronize my Lightroom Library.)

For some reason, not all photos are updated correctly in Synology Photos (tho I can check with Preview.app the keywords are actually written into the file).
It seems I have to force re-index the photos, but doing so using the Web interface (Settings > Personal/Shared Space > Re-index) did not solve the problem.

That's why I came across this article:
which actually seems to have solved my problem (re-indexing is still in progress).

It does force re-indexing the "Marius-way", using Task Scheduler to run a root command ;)

Maybe this also solves your initial problem.
Best regards,
marko
Will give this a try, it sounds promising … thank you @paradeiser!!

Also, if it’s the “Marius-way,” does that mean we have to go back to step 1, or we will deal with karma? 🙃

Hi Guys i also faced the same issue what i did is in Control Panel --> Services --> Indexing Service --> Enabled conversion by schedule for whole day & it worked

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.