Photo setup

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I am looking for recommendations and help creating a photo backup/sharing setup. I have read several discussions without finding a definitive answer so I decided to register and create a new thread.
The situation: Family of four, two young kids, 8 and 6, so just starting to take their own photos with their tablets. I have had local backups of all photos in 3 different hard drives, periodically synced, with one of them in a different house (synced less often, about once a year). I also had cloud backup with Google photos, not in the full image quality but the free "high quality", which is good enough for browsing, searching, sharing etc.
I recently bought a DS220+, with one of the main goals being to host all the photos, maybe reduce the number of local backup locations, and ideally not rely on google photos at all.
I understand there are compromises and the interface is not as slick as google photos. That's fine, I would still like to find the best solution possible.
I would like to have:
- automated backup from all devices to the respective users' libraries
- an option to manually upload as well (from a DSLR or other source for example)
- being able to change the file/folder structure
- ideally have more than one app pointing to the photo libraries
- easy sharing (especially useful for albums/photos that the whole family should have access to)
My experience so far has been underwhelming. I started with Moments. I reluctantly gave up complete control of folder location as there was no way to make moments look at my preferred folder location, and I put all my photos in my moments folder (user1). So then I (user1) can see them, but the other users can't unless I copy them to the shared library. This of course doubles the used disk space, so I don't want that. Is there no way to simply give view rights to specific subfolders/albums of your photos to other people? Or add to shared library not by copying but by creating shortcuts?
I am willing to ditch Moments, and try photo station, or even third party programs, but before I start moving files and changing folder structure (there are >1TB of photos/videos in total) I would like some recommendations on a good set up. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Dear,
I do perfectly understand your concerns - as I had similar questions. What finally solved the situation for me was to break the big challenge into bits and pieces - meaning that I am not looking for a "big" solution anymore.
In the past, I had my photos in the Adobe ecosystem. This was working well, but - there were some pitfalls (like needing every device sync to the cloud itself or a not fully implemented integration between CC (cloudversion) and Classic).

So I was looking for a solution for getting everything into a different setup, including not relying on (limited) cloud storage. Unfortunately, I did not find a single piece of software that could achieve this.
My setup is now looking like this:

- Mylio for organization and having all photos around on every device
- PhotoSync for importing to the NAS (via WebDAV)
- Syncovery for "moving files around" on the NAS according to my wished
- a tool (I am currently evaluating Chevereto, Piwigo and PhotoPrism) to have a photo-website for the family
- Duplicacy for encrypted backup on OneDrive and HiDrive

By doing so, I had a tough time to get this working, and some headache to set it up, but - now it is working as expected and fully customizable according to my needs.

Hope this helps,
regards,

Connor

Gents,
there is a single answer = dockerized environment will help you.

Family share of existing libraries and connection from WAN - the Piwigo. Your own Folder structure is one of the standard features.

Metadata based Search and batch tasks - Piwigo. For special tasks ExifTool.

For the SD card content copy - Syno File station and SD/USB3 reader. Then you can use your own editor environment as you wish. For a sync to everywhere you can use:
- rsync between two NASes (mounted NFS Share is preferred)
- backup by HB or S/R to everywhere. In case of the HB also to cloud based targets
- rsync by Cloud sync to/from defined cloud targets

I have in usage LR catalogue for the editing purposes. Works perfect within this setup.

Regarding the Photo trash from the smartphones. I don’t like save each photo created. It’s really pointless. When there is an important photo(s) I can use direct transfer of selected photos to my NAS from Photos (iOS), LAN/WAN supported. Then I don’t need purchase 16TB for the pointless trash. Same as first check from my big camera.

The automatisation is one point of view and a the garbage collection is different. Just this kind of attitude can help you/your children to understand, that your NAS hasn’t endless capacity.

The garbage collection is one of the reason why is internet overloaded now.

Dear,
I do perfectly understand your concerns - as I had similar questions. What finally solved the situation for me was to break the big challenge into bits and pieces - meaning that I am not looking for a "big" solution anymore.
In the past, I had my photos in the Adobe ecosystem. This was working well, but - there were some pitfalls (like needing every device sync to the cloud itself or a not fully implemented integration between CC (cloudversion) and Classic).

So I was looking for a solution for getting everything into a different setup, including not relying on (limited) cloud storage. Unfortunately, I did not find a single piece of software that could achieve this.
My setup is now looking like this:

- Mylio for organization and having all photos around on every device
- PhotoSync for importing to the NAS (via WebDAV)
- Syncovery for "moving files around" on the NAS according to my wished
- a tool (I am currently evaluating Chevereto, Piwigo and PhotoPrism) to have a photo-website for the family
- Duplicacy for encrypted backup on OneDrive and HiDrive

By doing so, I had a tough time to get this working, and some headache to set it up, but - now it is working as expected and fully customizable according to my needs.

Hope this helps,
regards,

Connor
Hi, please, can you tell me, how you managed the PhotoPrism to be working correctly? I tried (via DOcker-compose in portainer, but never succeeded as the PhotoPrism container stops continuously by itself (I even was not able to open the PhotoPrism login page). Would you provide me your docker-compose setup or just list of steps you've made to get it work?
Thanks.

[...] Would you provide me your docker-compose setup or just list of steps you've made to get it work?
Thanks.
Sure - what I can offer are two sources.
First my own docker run that I used
Code:
docker run -d \
--name service_photoprism \
--security-opt seccomp=unconfined \
--security-opt apparmor=unconfined \
--log-driver=loki \
--log-opt loki-url="http://192.168.1.10:3100/loki/api/v1/push" \
--log-opt loki-retries=5 \
--log-opt loki-batch-size=400 \
-e PUID=1036 \
-e PGID=100 \
-e TZ=Europe/Berlin \
-p XXXX:2342 \
-e PHOTOPRISM_UPLOAD_NSFW="true" \
-e PHOTOPRISM_ADMIN_PASSWORD="verysecretpassword" \
-v /volume1/docker/photoprism/storage:/photoprism/storage \
-v /volume1/docker/photoprism/originals:/photoprism/originals \
--restart unless-stopped \
photoprism/photoprism:latest

and second another docker-compose that I just came across within this forum.

I hope that either one helps you.

Best regards,

Connor

Sure - what I can offer are two sources.
First my own docker run that I used
Code:
docker run -d \
--name service_photoprism \
--security-opt seccomp=unconfined \
--security-opt apparmor=unconfined \
--log-driver=loki \
--log-opt loki-url="http://192.168.1.10:3100/loki/api/v1/push" \
--log-opt loki-retries=5 \
--log-opt loki-batch-size=400 \
-e PUID=1036 \
-e PGID=100 \
-e TZ=Europe/Berlin \
-p XXXX:2342 \
-e PHOTOPRISM_UPLOAD_NSFW="true" \
-e PHOTOPRISM_ADMIN_PASSWORD="verysecretpassword" \
-v /volume1/docker/photoprism/storage:/photoprism/storage \
-v /volume1/docker/photoprism/originals:/photoprism/originals \
--restart unless-stopped \
photoprism/photoprism:latest

and second another docker-compose that I just came across within this forum.

I hope that either one helps you.

Best regards,

Connor
Thank you, I'll try on my system whether I'll do some steps forward or not. :)

My pleasure - hope it helps. For my use case it use unfortunately not really usable due to missing multi-user support.
Yeah. I\m just trying to find out some good enough solution for read-olny-access photo archive, which would be helpful for group of users. I would love something like Daminion, but that is so much expensive for my kind of usage. So maybe PhotoPrism would be OK. But I need to test it a little bit (searching, sorting, filtering optios with help of metadata used and imported from EXIF + IPTC which my photos already contain...). Will see if it will work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.