Photographer / First NAS Advice

Currently reading
Photographer / First NAS Advice

Last edited:
Hello Everyone

I would be new to this forum. It was while reading up a bit about NAS on the internet, that i stumbled upon this resourceful page. As often as i thought reading up about software was complicated, i have mostly been seeing stars when i pursue any hardware related reading. I would be hoping to walk away with the right inputs to suit my requirements by the end of this discussion.

To introduce myself, i would be a Wedding Photographer and Filmer, while i also dabble seriously in Travel and Wildlife Photography.

To briefly mention the workflow i am considering….

I shall be creating a backup of the entire project on NAS, which perhaps is my Master Backup.

I then intend to create a second backup on the iMac SSD / external SSD / Client provided Harddrive where i sort the photos / videos and shortlist my edit files.

I shall create my Lightroom Catalog and FCP Project File on this SSD / harddrive and edit the project, while the NAS continues to remain a safe backup of all the RAW.
Most edit projects last a few days, sometimes weeks. At this stage, i would be hoping that there is some app that would create automated scheduled backups of my project files, onto the NAS ?

Upon completion and project handover, i shall create an archived backup of the finished product on NAS while another goes onto the cloud. The RAW data and video files get deleted at this stage from the NAS storage and make way for newer projects.

I would essentially be looking at 4 Bay NAS storage. Storage on Raid 1 to begin with. I shall upgrade to RAID 5 over time once i invest on a 3rd harddrive. Is the process of converting from Raid 1 to Raid 5 possible without formatting the existing drives that are in use and safe backing its data ?

Plex - Not sure i would use this. Netflix and similar apps have almost become a way of life.
Audio - I do have around 30000 mp3 files downloaded over the years, which id like to backup on the NAS and listen to. Hoping theres some nice app for that
Backups - Apart from my work backup, id like to periodically backup my MacBook, iMac, iPad & Family Phones

Thats about it. Would any of you see some flaw in this workflow ?

HDD:
I have already purchased 2 Harddrives of 18TB each from the Seagate Ironwolf Pro series. Most of the websites ( Synology in particular) have nothing mentioned about the 18TB compatibility, while companies like Asustor already do. It makes me wonder if i should be playing it safe and purchasing a product from the company thats already claiming to support 18TB drives or would it be safe to assume that, this is just the capacity of the hard drive and it shouldn’t matter regardless of which NAS storage box i decide to buy.

NAS options ive read about and liked:

Synology DS420 J - Seems to do the basic task im looking for. Wondering if at a nominal incremental price, bit more ram and future proofing helps

Asustor 6604T - Seems to be the best compromise between hardware performance and pricing. Asustor also claim to support 18TB drives on their website. Apprehensive about the software as a beginner. The tasks im looking to do are fairly simple and just involve a couple of apps, but every single review ive read, seem to vouch for the DSM

Synology DS920+ - Seems to have it all. I could upgrade the RAM to 8gb. It however has 1gbe ports while the above mentioned Asustor is similarly speced and comes with 2gbe ports. It boils down to hardware performance versus software simplicity here.

Synology 1520+ - The additional bay at a nominal cost seems to make this an attractive option.

I apologise for making this a fairly long post, but id hope this gives some better insight on what might work best for me.

Thank You

i would be hoping that there is some app that would create automated scheduled backups of my project files, onto the NAS ?
Drive Server (with a macOS Drive client) would do the job. Either as a sync or timed scheduled task.

Raid 1 to Raid 5 possible without formatting the existing drives that are in use and safe backing its data ?
Yes - Change the RAID Type of a Storage Pool | DSM - Synology Knowledge Center

Audio - I do have around 30000 mp3 files downloaded over the years, which id like to backup on the NAS and listen to. Hoping theres some nice app for that
Plex would do wonders for this.

Backups - Apart from my work backup, id like to periodically backup my MacBook, iMac, iPad & Family Phones
macOS machines - Time Machine backup method or any alternative 3rd party (Acronis, CCC etc). Regarding your mobile devices (photos and videos), DSFile (synology official app) can do backup from mobiles devices, or using Synology Photos platform on your NAS along side a mobile app that also has background backup options.

I have already purchased 2 Harddrives of 18TB each from the Seagate Ironwolf Pro series. Most of the websites ( Synology in particular) have nothing mentioned about the 18TB compatibility, while companies like Asustor already do. It makes me wonder if i should be playing it safe and purchasing a product from the company thats already claiming to support 18TB drives or would it be safe to assume that, this is just the capacity of the hard drive and it shouldn’t matter regardless of which NAS storage box i decide to buy.
As long as the drive is not explicitly noted as "not supported" you should be fine. The fact that the drive is not listed, means that it was not officially tested, not that it will not work.

Personally I would suggest going in the '+' segment if you are looking for something in Syno portfolio. True most models are still on 1G and the only jump is on models that can install a PCI card for 10/25G cards. However, the upcoming DSM7 version will soon have SMB multichannel support, so with devices running multiple 1G you will be able to utilize multiple lanes.

Try and avoid J series because your might get disappointed with the lack of performance as well as some apps and services that you see Syno devices can offer.

Finally, welcome to the forum. We are all sure you will find answers to all of your questions. We have some pro and enthusiast level photo users (personally I am not), and I am sure you will get some 1st hand quality info.

Thank you so much. I shall read up a bit more on the mentioned apps.

However, the upcoming DSM7 version will soon have SMB multichannel support, so with devices running multiple 1G you will be able to utilize multiple lanes.

This would be done using a Managed switch i suppose ?

Hello Everyone

I would be new to this forum. It was while reading up a bit about NAS on the internet, that i stumbled upon this resourceful page. As often as i thought reading up about software was complicated, i have mostly been seeing stars when i pursue any hardware related reading. I would be hoping to walk away with the right inputs to suit my requirements by the end of this discussion.

To introduce myself, i would be a Wedding Photographer and Filmer, while i also dabble seriously in Travel and Wildlife Photography.

To briefly mention the workflow i am considering….

I shall be creating a backup of the entire project on NAS, which perhaps is my Master Backup.

I then intend to create a second backup on the iMac SSD / external SSD / Client provided Harddrive where i sort the photos / videos and shortlist my edit files.

I shall create my Lightroom Catalog and FCP Project File on this SSD / harddrive and edit the project, while the NAS continues to remain a safe backup of all the RAW.
Most edit projects last a few days, sometimes weeks. At this stage, i would be hoping that there is some app that would create automated scheduled backups of my project files, onto the NAS ?

Upon completion and project handover, i shall create an archived backup of the finished product on NAS while another goes onto the cloud. The RAW data and video files get deleted at this stage from the NAS storage and make way for newer projects.

I would essentially be looking at 4 Bay NAS storage. Storage on Raid 1 to begin with. I shall upgrade to RAID 5 over time once i invest on a 3rd harddrive. Is the process of converting from Raid 1 to Raid 5 possible without formatting the existing drives that are in use and safe backing its data ?

Plex - Not sure i would use this. Netflix and similar apps have almost become a way of life.

Thats about it. Would any of you see some flaw in this workflow ?

HDD:

Synology DS420 J - Seems to do the basic task im looking for. Wondering if at a nominal incremental price, bit more ram and future proofing helps

Asustor 6604T - Seems to be the best compromise between hardware performance and pricing. Asustor also claim to support 18TB drives on their website. Apprehensive about the software as a beginner. The tasks im looking to do are fairly simple and just involve a couple of apps, but every single review ive read, seem to vouch for the DSM

Synology DS920+ - Seems to have it all. I could upgrade the RAM to 8gb. It however has 1gbe ports while the above mentioned Asustor is similarly speced and comes with 2gbe ports. It boils down to hardware performance versus software simplicity here.

Synology 1520+ - The additional bay at a nominal cost seems to make this an attractive option.

I apologise for making this a fairly long post, but id hope this gives some better insight on what might work best for me.

Thank You
A few thoughts.

A workflow needs to be something you are personally comfortable with. I see nothing bad about your workflow.

As far as implementing your workflow a few comments.
First of all, Synology is a good choice. You will pay a premium over other choices for the hardware, but what you are getting is good software environment to work in. It is arguable, but that is my take.
Avoid the "J" units, only look at the "+" units.
Please consider SHR-2 for your drive array. You will need more drives, but the pucker factor will vanish if you have a hard drive failure and can still tolerate another failure during the rebuild/replacement of the drive that failed. It can take quite some time to repair/rebuild a replacement drive. With RAID5 and SHR, a second failure is the kiss of death. I setup a unit with SHR and lost a drive, so the experience is fresh.
Use BTRFS
Don't pay for cloud storage. Get a "j" unit, use shr on it and park it somewhere remote to your home. I know a large business that has East Coast, West Coast and European mirrors of their data. Very remote can be a problem without an IT team, but maybe a family member, workplace, etc. can host the machine. I have a remote 30 miles away at my workplace that is accessible, yet not likely to burn down if my neighborhood gets hit. On the other hand, if I am at home when a jet falls from the sky and I go up with the data, there will be no need for the remote.... If I didn't have a remote location I would consider off site in a pay for cloud location, but with the large amount of data I have, that can get costly.

At home, I am currently running a DS1821+ with 17 of 29TB in use. The movies and music are backed up locally but my photography and business information are backed up on a remote ds213j. I have a second local ds213j that i use as a local remote.

The remotes are so underpowered that they are almost painful to use on the web interface, but the backup speeds are limited by my upload speed on my internet connection. I understand the newer J units are much more responsive.

If I were to start over, I would buy the 1821+ again, and 4 10 or 12 TB WD Red Pro. I like B+H so I would probably shop there. I don't think my workflow would benefit from additional memory, cache or higher interface speeds. I don't have any devices on my lan that support over 1GB connection and I am essentially the only user so I would have to do a huge upgrade to get faster lan speeds so I am satisfied with the 1821+ as is.

Good luck.

This guy was an old school film photographer, just completed a wedding. He asked me if I thought he should go digital... It was 10 years ago, wonder what he is doing...

Attachments

• 180-8090_CRW.jpg
    180-8090_CRW.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
Thank you, Paul, for taking some time off and lending me your perspective from experience

Please consider SHR-2 for your drive array. You will need more drives, but the pucker factor will vanish if you have a hard drive failure and can still tolerate another failure during the rebuild/replacement of the drive that failed. It can take quite some time to repair/rebuild a replacement drive. With RAID5 and SHR, a second failure is the kiss of death. I setup a unit with SHR and lost a drive, so the experience is fresh.
I haven't read much about Synology's SHR yet. I have just about started understanding how RAID works. Since ive invested on 18TB ironwolf pros already, it sets me back steeply should i consider buying 2 more drives. It is certainly something i shall consider by early next year perhaps, when i maybe in a position to invest again on a pair of drives.

Don't pay for cloud storage. Get a "j" unit, use shr on it and park it somewhere remote to your home.
A remote storage is a great idea. This is something i can build upon when the budget permits. Cloud storage was a wrong term to use perhaps. Id be referring to a Web hosting the clients deliverables in hi-res. The idea is to drive traffic to the website. Its one way of generating more leads when the gallery gets shared in their circles.

I will probably have to make a decision between the 920 with a RAM upgrade and 1520 now. The extra bay perhaps being the key difference.

A very basic comparison of the differences between DS1520+ vs DS920+ (and I went for the DS1520+):

FeatureDS1520+DS920+
Drive bays54
RAM (inc. / max)8 GB / 8 GB4 GB / 8 GB
1Gbps LAN42
eSata (expansion ports)21

My theory went like this: the cost per bay is virtually the same for both NAS... do I want storage contingency and not have to worry about sourcing a compliant RAM stick* or should I save the cost of one bay? So I went for the 5-bay with 8 GB RAM. I have a SHR-1 on four drives and a spare bay for either: SHR-1 expansion; making it SHR-2; hot-spare; a Basic storage pool; testing.

I'm just a home user using it for backups (Active Backup), file sharing (Drive), and media libraries/streaming. But all that's been said above holds true. I also use smaller, old + and j-series as places for backups (Hyper Backup), along with Synology C2... I don't have anyone that I can use to host an 'offsite' NAS to hold backups. But you can run periodic backups to local USB drives and then store them with family.

*at the time there was less info around on what else worked.

FeatureDS1520+DS920+
Drive bays54
RAM (inc. / max)8 GB / 8 GB4 GB / 8 GB
1Gbps LAN42
eSata (expansion ports)21
Yes, i realised that it had 4 LAN ports only after i did some more reading on the 1520.
Finding a compliant RAM stick is certainly an aspect to consider as well.

Would both these NAS options ( 920+ and 1520+) be suitable if i were to use NAS as a central point of editing photos ? Use NAS for file storage and store the lightroom catalog on the local drive ( or perhaps that on the NAS too, should i consider collaborating with other editors on projects)

I suggest you use Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 (SP1 or higher) to store your data. It will be expensive, but you will get the hardware you need. You can install the software from Windows using the wizard that comes with Windows Server.
By the way, you mentioned that you are a photographer, I would be interested to see what you shoot. I'm just starting out in photography, and I'm interested in everything that goes along with it. I recently added a photoshoot for a friend of mine at a waterfall park I found on www.aperfectspace.com, and the friend was delighted with the pictures.

Hi All, I have been skimming through all your wonderful advice. I hope you can give me some input on my specific photography NAS storage needs.

Me and my partner work with Capture One and we are looking for a solution for off-site editing collaboration. The most wanted feature we are looking for is the ability to collaborate on a small subset of pictures (a session) whilst one of the two is off-site. As you might expect, we would like to store all of our images on the NAS and edit it directly from it while on site.

It's been hard to find tested set ups for this kind of workflow. On the Capture One forums no one seems to be happy with the performance whilst editing from the NAS and on top of that, I've heard some horror stories of corrupted catalogs.

Here's a quote:
My Synology NAS is systematically corrupting the catalog to the point I've never seen before. CaptureOne crashes and the catalog is beyong repair - it needed to be restored from backup. Take this into consideration for CaptureOne (unless you have other experience!). I am on Pro 20. I think it's because Synology Drive and CaptureOne keep the file open same time. I had it configured 'sync changes both ways' and I think it could be the issue. My current solution is to have the catalog part of S. Drive Backup task to ensure it's copied there. It copies all changes and preview files on the go, the catalog db will get done once I close it. The other solution could be to have it Synced with Drive but keep the drive on pause while you have the catalog open and resume the sync once you close it. I think the backup will work just fine. I do not work with two computers though. I was looking at the status of the files. Database file was synchronized, some directories were still being synchronized. CaptureOne was opened all the time. After some operations, the corruption message appeared and that was it. I restored it, tried again - same story. One thing I noticed though was the writelock file with extension .ZIP. I do not know CO20 that well but when I removed it and started CO20 again, proper writelock file appeared. It still does not explain the issue as I do not think Synology is aware of the role of writelock file. I will give it a try again later on and report my findings. I've done another test with Synology drive sync - I switched it on having previously synchronized everything. It dit not crush during the runtime so I was curious if all was fine - I executed catalog backup which failed immediately, tried again - same issue. Closed CaptureOne tried to launch it and it failed - "Could not determine the database compatibility. The database is probably empty". Next time I will exclude the 'writelock' file from backup. Excluded 'writelock' file from Synch task and it seems to run stable now. No crushes, no database inconsistencies, all seems to be good. Until today when it suddenly crashed CO20 catalog beyond repair. I give this up and will use a regular Drive Backup task instead.

So if you guys have any advice on how to set up the NAS it would be welcome.

So far, what I have in mind as set up is:

HHD CONFIG

DS1618+ (4GB RAM)€909.52
6x 4TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM€ 950.34
Additional 10GB Network Card€ 100.76
2x SSD CACHE SNV3400€ 283.6
TOT€2,244.22

SSD CONFIG

DS920+€ 518.54
4x IronWolf 110 SSD, 1920 GB€1,900.68
Additional 10GB Network Card€100.76
TOT€ 2,803.58
To bring down the cost of this one. I'd be happy to give up on the 10GB card for the SSD set up if I can hook up the NAS via USB.

Config Miscellaneous:
  • Network protocol: SHR1
  • Sessions and Catalogs stored straight on the network SMB shared drive
  • Sync one session/catalog at a time to the off-site computer using the Synology Drive Client
  • BTRFS
  • RAID 5

Hi All, I have been skimming through all your wonderful advice. I hope you can give me some input on my specific photography NAS storage needs.

Me and my partner work with Capture One and we are looking for a solution for off-site editing collaboration. The most wanted feature we are looking for is the ability to collaborate on a small subset of pictures (a session) whilst one of the two is off-site. As you might expect, we would like to store all of our images on the NAS and edit it directly from it while on site.

It's been hard to find tested set ups for this kind of workflow. On the Capture One forums no one seems to be happy with the performance whilst editing from the NAS and on top of that, I've heard some horror stories of corrupted catalogs.

Here's a quote:

So if you guys have any advice on how to set up the NAS it would be welcome.

So far, what I have in mind as set up is:

HHD CONFIG

DS1618+ (4GB RAM)€909.52
6x 4TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM€ 950.34
Additional 10GB Network Card€ 100.76
TOT€2,244.22

SSD CONFIG

DS920+€ 518.54
TOT€ 2,803.58
To bring down the cost of this one. I'd be happy to give up on the 10GB card for the SSD set up if I can hook up the NAS via USB.

Config Miscellaneous:
  • Network protocol: SHR1
  • Sessions and Catalogs stored straight on the network SMB shared drive
  • Sync one session/catalog at a time to the off-site computer using the Synology Drive Client
  • BTRFS
  • RAID 5
I would recommend DS923+ with 10G with NVMe and SSDs in the main bays. This particular model is the 1st that allows for the creation of NVMe user usable volumes (not just cache) that will give you that added boost you want.

Mind you, only SVN (Syno NVMe) drives are supported. If that will be something that would interest you you might go with larger ones then as well, and switch to HDDs in the main bay.

In terms of speeds, just a demo of 10G to 10G transfers and disk speeds between DS923/DS723 and Mac Studio on the other end.

Discloser, this is a test when NAS and Studio were directly connected, but with a 10G network switch in the middle, the result will be the same (mine is 2 floors apart so was not able at this time).

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 13.31.25.png

Also some SMB transfers

(Studio to NAS)

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 12.46.09.png

(NAS to Studio)

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 12.49.06.png

As you can see, 10G will not be a problem for DS923. Transfer speeds were also faster than in the speed test, but then again it's a different type of data manipulation. This was done using SSDs in the main bay only! So no NVMe cache or NVMe user pools, just SSDs in the main bays (SAT series, Synology 4TB ones).

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
I would recommend DS923+ with 10G with NVMe and SSDs in the main bays. This particular model is the 1st that allows for the creation of NVMe user usable volumes (not just cache) that will give you that added boost you want.

Mind you, only SVN (Syno NVMe) drives are supported. If that will be something that would interest you you might go with larger ones then as well, and switch to HDDs in the main bay.

In terms of speeds, just a demo of 10G to 10G transfers and disk speeds between DS923/DS723 and Mac Studio on the other end.

Discloser, this is a test when NAS and Studio were directly connected, but with a 10G network switch in the middle, the result will be the same (mine is 2 floors apart so was not able at this time).

View attachment 11693

Also some SMB transfers

(Studio to NAS)

View attachment 11694

(NAS to Studio)

View attachment 11695

As you can see, 10G will not be a problem for DS923. Transfer speeds were also faster than in the speed test, but then again it's a different type of data manipulation. This was done using SSDs in the main bay only! So no NVMe cache or NVMe user pools, just SSDs in the main bays (SAT series, Synology 4TB ones).

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the advice!

Can the DS923+ be found bundled with 10GBs of ram? Most model seems to come with 4GB.

So, just to clarify, this would be the rough set up you recommended:

DS923+ (4GB)€670
2x SSD CACHE SNV3400€283.6
Additional 6GB of RAM ??????
TOT€ 2,955.04

Can the DS923+ be found bundled with 10GBs of ram?
Not officially, no. 4GB is how the stock model arrives.

Be sure to look for a compatible ram as this is DDR4 ECC memory with certain specs. So not every brand/type will work (as with any Syno NAS, not just 923). The price will depend on the vendor ofc, and if I may suggest it would be best to pair both slots with the same modules/sizes for optimal dual-channel setup. So removing the 4GB stick and placing 2x?? in both slots.

All in all, the price as you can see is not that much higher, but you will definitely get more bang for buck with this setup than with 920. It is also more future-proof and 3y younger than translatest to longer general and DSM support time.

Not officially, no. 4GB is how the stock model arrives.

Be sure to look for a compatible ram as this is DDR4 ECC memory with certain specs. So not every brand/type will work (as with any Syno NAS, not just 923). The price will depend on the vendor ofc, and if I may suggest it would be best to pair both slots with the same modules/sizes for optimal dual-channel setup. So removing the 4GB stick and placing 2x?? in both slots.

All in all, the price as you can see is not that much higher, but you will definitely get more bang for buck with this setup than with 920. It is also more future-proof and 3y younger than translatest to longer general and DSM support time.
Yes, thanks for pointing it out. I thought a 6 bays was overkill. So this works out pretty well. I am considering building a NVME volume where to store the "hot" material, whilst archiving the rest on HDD cold storage. Overall this seems a very cost effective solution.

To save some money, I might hold on 10GBs RAM upgrade, and see first how it performs. If then I feel unhappy, I might upgrade later on.

DS923+ (4GB)€670
4x 4TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM€633.56
Additional 10GBe Network Card€100.76
2x SVN 800GB M.2 SNV3510-800G22110 €639.32
TOTAL€ 2,043.64

To save some money, I might hold on 10GBs RAM upgrade, and see first how it performs.
That might be a way to go for sure. If the NAS will be mainly for data storage and transfers, it will be more then enough with room to grow if needs be.

I am sure you will enjoy this setup very much.

That might be a way to go for sure. If the NAS will be mainly for data storage and transfers, it will be more then enough with room to grow if needs be.

I am sure you will enjoy this setup very much.

We plan to edit the pictures straight from the NAS, but as i said, we would like to use the NVME as working memory, and move the rest on the internal HDDs. Do you reckon 4GB might be a bottleneck for this use case? We sometimes have video editing tasks too, which I completely forgot about.

We plan to edit the pictures straight from the NAS, but as i said, we would like to use the NVME as working memory, and move the rest on the internal HDDs. Do you reckon 4GB might be a bottleneck for this use case? We sometimes have video editing tasks too, which I completely forgot about.
Regardless, the NAS will still only host the files, not as you will actually edit the files of a NAS OS and HW, you will use your endpoint (PC) device. Personally, I don't think this will be an issue but guess you will see very quicky if RAM size will present a problem or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.