Currently reading
Photos and Google Photos

NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Is there a relationship between Photos and Google photos? I.E. if I delete a photo in Google Photos do I have to delete it in Synology Photos as well , I'd try myself but my 220J is still processing 70000+ photos

Having never used Google Photos I can't say how you are using it with Synology Photos. But there is a theoretical risk to deleting a file in Google and that also deleting on the NAS... it depends on how you add the Google photo file into the NAS.

Have you set up some sync process* that accesses Google Photos and synchronises the files with a location on the NAS? If yes then deleting in Google Photos will also delete on the NAS.

Did you copy all the photos from Google to your Mac/PC and then copy these to the NAS? If yes then deleting on Google will not delete on the NAS (or you Mac/PC). All are independent repositories.

So the next question is: how are you getting photos from Google Photos to Synology Photos?

*not sure if Cloud Sync is fine-tuneable enough or even supports, directly or indirectly, Google Photos locations. But you could have used a sync application on another device with Google Photos as source and the NAS folder as destination.

Excellent questions @fredbert. Considering that I don't use G services, it didn't occur to me that there might be some sync that puts the content to a specific location on the nas that is then used by Photos. Was looking from a pure standpoint of 2 separate applications (cloud vs on-prem).

Having never used Google Photos I can't say how you are using it with Synology Photos. But there is a theoretical risk to deleting a file in Google and that also deleting on the NAS... it depends on how you add the Google photo file into the NAS.

Have you set up some sync process* that accesses Google Photos and synchronises the files with a location on the NAS? If yes then deleting in Google Photos will also delete on the NAS.

Did you copy all the photos from Google to your Mac/PC and then copy these to the NAS? If yes then deleting on Google will not delete on the NAS (or you Mac/PC). All are independent repositories.

So the next question is: how are you getting photos getting from Google Photos to Synology Photos?

*not sure if Cloud Sync is fine-tuneable enough or even supports, directly or indirectly, Google Photos locations. But you could have used a sync application on another device with Google Photos as source and the NAS folder as destination.
I did a Google Takeout and got 380GB of zipped files, I deleted the sync I had between the NAS and and Google Drive and have waited weeks literally for the NAS to process the photos, any new photos I've taken on the phone have all been uploaded to synology Photos , so hopefully all synced...just hope it's all worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.