Photos slow and share issue

NAS
DS216J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey

Professional photographer. Happily using Photostation. Upgraded to DS7 and now have to use Synology Photos and the difference is huge (and not great).

Firstly it's painfully slow to find images (on Android Mobile app). They take an age to load. I suspect that this is a caching issue but can't figure out how to speed it up. This is an issue for me as I often share previews of my shots via messaging apps and this is adding a painful amount of time.

Also on Photostation there used to be a setting where you could share low quality versions of your photos. This feature is no longer available in Photos which means if I share 20 images via WhatsApp they are all full quality! This means I have to add creation of low quality images to my already bloated workflow.

Please say that they are a) updates coming and b) solutions to this. I will have to move platforms otherwise.

Sash

Welcome to the forum @sashshots.

You're not alone in your view of Synology Photos, touted as the merging of the best of Photo Station and Moments and received by PS users as a big fat 💩.

There's a thread on Synology's Community that was started by the Photos product manager.

It's a shame you upgraded because there's no official way to rollback to DSM 6, but apparently it's doable. If you had a plus series NAS then you could use Virtual Machine Manager to run Virtual DSM 6 on a DSM 7 NAS.

Thanks for your reply.

I have to agree. However let's be hopeful that they are listening to the community and deliver updates that are practical.

In the meantime it does nothing to help my work. So (starts Googling alternatives to Synology Photos!)

In the meantime it does nothing to help my work. So (starts Googling alternatives to Synology Photos!)
No it doesn't.

@Rusty published a write up on his site walking through the unofficial DSM 7 to DSM 6 rollback. You will need to have a backup of your data and configurations.

Hmmm,

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. Appreciate the feedback!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.