NAS
3x DS1813+, DS2415+, DS216+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Anyone knows if you can install phpBB on DSM 7? Or is Docker the only current way. I'm making a list of app that I'll have to address before I upgrade from DSM 6 to 7.

Anyone knows if you can install phpBB on DSM 7? Or is Docker the only current way. I'm making a list of app that I'll have to address before I upgrade from DSM 6 to 7.
I haven't tested bare metal install on DSM7 for any 3rd party app including phpBB, but I would strongly advise pushing it into Docker. With Syno closing its security gaps by eliminating 3rd party support, Docker might be the only way of running it on the box in the near future. Besides it is a great way to stay isolated from any DSM changes coming down the line.

If phpBB is normally installed and run as a web service with access to a DB then there could be a way to deploy as a Web Station virtual host. You can create a PHP profile that has the necessary extensions enabled. You'll have to have a database somewhere/somehow.

I was testing this approach with RoundCube webmail since I failed to get a fully working Docker install that could access out / authenticate to Mail Server's IMAP and SMTP servers. So far I've got it working with a sqlite DB. But I'd have preferred the Docker approach.

I had phpBBS installed on DSM6 and it continues to work under DSM7. MariaDB, all running with no problems.

I take it you made a backup of the web folder with phpBB, uninstalled phpBB, did the DSM update then restored the phpBB back to the web folder? I already have MariaDB 10 installed and that is supported on DSM 7 as it still shows up as an optional package so it shouldn't be required to be removed before you can take the DSM 7 upgrade. Its just phpBB isn't listed as an install package in DSM 7 is one of the things that is holding me back on upgrading (along with some other packages).

Nope, no backup made. But I installed phpBB manually instead of using a package. PhpBB has been delisted as a package when I installed it. I installed it manually as per the phpBB install instructions. Just treated the NAS as a regular server :)

Nope, no backup made. But I installed phpBB manually instead of using a package. PhpBB has been delisted as a package when I installed it. I installed it manually as per the phpBB install instructions. Just treated the NAS as a regular server :)
Ok cool. I guess I will check and see if there is a backup and restore inside of phpBB and use phpMyAdmin to backup the database first. I got everything but phpBB off the DSM 6 install. Going to try and backup my web folder, remove phpBB, do the DSM 7 upgrade and restore the web folder if needed. It should work, if not I'm going to have to find a way to restore it.

To be continued....

Good luck with it! Keep us updated as to how you go! There is a backup with the ACP under maintenance. In the past I've backed up via that as well as phpMyAdmin.
Scary thought I've been running BBS (bulletin boards) and forums since 1980.....

So.... I got DMS 7 now and PHPBB was broke. I did manage to get it to work and it was easy once I found what I needed for it work. If anyone wants to take DSM 7 and have PHPBB 3.3 running, this is what I did to get it installed.

1. Make backups of the SQL database and of the PHPBB web folder. (repeat X amount more times as it never hurts to have multiple backups).
  2. Rename the PHPBB web folder to something like PHPBB.TEMP
  3. Uninstall the PHPBB package
  4. Install DSM 7
  5. In the package manager, do repairs to PHP packages. Must have PHP 7.2 or newer package install/repaired (I had 7.2).
  6. In DMS, go to Web Station > Script Language Settings and create a new Service or modify the one that is tied to Default Server in the Web Service Portal. Here you will need set the following:
    1. Settings tab > profile name & description to whatever you want but must be filled out.
    2. Settings tab > PHP version set to 7.2 or higher
    3. Settings tab > everything else left default
    4. Extensions tab > gd, iconv and mysqli must be enabled (or whatever database you use)
    5. Core tab > mysqli.default_port must be changed to your server port (you can get this from the config.php file inside PHPBB web folder)
    6. Update the Default server in Web Service Portal to use the new script service if you created one.
  7. Rename the PHPBB.TEMP web folder back to its original name.
  8. Done.
You should be able to access your PHPBB site now. I don't think any other PHP extensions need to be enabled for PHPBB to work but if I hit any error and find out, I'll try and post them here. If anyone knows of any extra extensions that need to be enabled, please post them.

Yep that sounds very similar to what I had to do to install phpBB under DSM6 as well. It's interesting that I didn't have to do step 5 at all it was already set when I created the service.

Yep that sounds very similar to what I had to do to install phpBB under DSM6 as well. It's interesting that I didn't have to do step 5 at all it was already set when I created the service.
Yeah, I had another one that didn't need step 5 ether. The NAS in question in the first post has never being fully reloaded. It started on DSM 5.0 and has been updated on ever release with package reinstalls/alternatives etc... on it since it was bought. I think it going from DSM to DSM upgrades had me sold for life on Synology products as I have never had any issues out of it until just recently. I'm now starting to have a weird issue ever 2 or 3 weeks where the unit will become unresponsive. No webgui, ssh, smb, etc... but can ping it. A hard power cycle and it will work again without any issues. I've decided if it happens again I was going to force the unit in recovery mode and reinstall DSM 7. I have backups but the data shouldn't be touched while doing the recovery.

You are not using DSM7 with a Netgear product which includes 'Armor' are you?
I have 3 managed Netgear switches throughout the house as I have a 2gb LAG connection in between them. Out of 5 Synology NASs, only one is having issues and it's the one I was talking about above. I'll look into "Armor" as I don't what reconfigure that NAS unless I have to.

I only think you get the Armor package with the Orbi routers or the gaming routers. If the other NASs are of DSM7 and not having the issue it's not likely that.

Last edited:
The DS2415+ looks to share the same CPU with other 2015 Synology NAS that has is know to have a problem with failing, but can be corrected cheaply if caught. There's a very long thread at The Other Place on the Intel Atom C2000 issue and has lots of photos on soldering a resistor to the motherboard.

===========

Ah, from your other posts, I see you already know about this. Hopefully the iffy NAS will fix with a software rebuild.

The DS2415+ looks to share the same CPU with other 2015 Synology NAS that has is know to have a problem with failing, but can be corrected cheaply if caught. There's a very long thread at The Other Place on the Intel Atom C2000 issue and has lots of photos on soldering a resistor to the motherboard.

===========

Ah, from your other posts, I see you already know about this. Hopefully the iffy NAS will fix with a software rebuild.
Yeah, I know about the c2000 series issue but PHPBB is running on a DS1813+ (one in question and uses a d2700 atom). I think it just needs a full reinstall of DSM. Again, this one has only had one full DSM (5) install and then upgraded whenever there was a DSM update out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.