Currently reading
Pihole revisted

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
A while ago, Gerard helped me straighten out my nas so I could access it from outside and also taught me about the firewall. In the process we had to preferred dns back the default setting. I was wondering if there's a way to get Pihole working without it that doesn't involve a lot of changes as it's not a big deal. TIA

Found a tutorial by wundertech that uses a MACVLAN with pihole. Before attempting it, I was wondering if it's possible to mess up my Nas in creating the macvlan. Is it possible to just remove it if it does?

Found a tutorial by wundertech that uses a MACVLAN with pihole. Before attempting it, I was wondering if it's possible to mess up my Nas in creating the macvlan. Is it possible to just remove it if it does?
I would be mindful of macvlan as users in the past have reported issues with removing it. This might no longer be the case, but I can't say with 100% certainty myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up the pihole & macvlan in Docker; that way it's self-contained and both pihole and macvlan are cleanly removable if you need to.

EDIT: just remembered we're on a Syno not an open server; setup may not be a straightforward as in the link I posted above. Additional instructions are here fwiw. You need to be comfortable with running CLI commands to create the Macvlan, routes etc...

I would be mindful of macvlan as users in the past have reported issues with removing it. This might no longer be the case, but I can't say with 100% certainty myself.
Well I can confirm that I removed my macvlan Docker container for PiHole and it deinstalled cleanly. I will state I was using Docker Compose for my configurations. I had the same concern after reading all the issues folks were having with advanced networking in Docker running on Synolgoy.

The only main benefits of pi-hole with the MACvlan and portainer process that I can see is that the server gets its own IP address is that the server can get its own IP address and you can rebuild the container from within the Portainer interface to update it to the newest version of Pi-hole when released rather than having to recreate the Pi-Hole container from latest image. I am not an expert on this, so if there are points I'm missing I'll stand corrected.

The only main benefits of pi-hole with the MACvlan and portainer process that I can see is that the server gets its own IP address is that the server can get its own IP address and you can rebuild the container from within the Portainer interface to update it to the newest version of Pi-hole when released rather than having to recreate the Pi-Hole container from latest image. I am not an expert on this, so if there are points I'm missing I'll stand corrected.
MACvlan is needed to listen to DHCP broadcast requests in Pi-hole when running in a Docker container. There is a lot of documentation on this on the Pi-hole site. If you don't need DHCP support in Pi-hole then the network bridge driver should work.

What’s the difference with this guide (aside from the few not being a fan of the author and some of his articles), which doesn’t mention MACvlan? I’m guessing if you don’t need dhcp as @RonV42 mentioned, then just setup pihole as in this article or some other similar.

What’s the difference with this guide (aside from the few not being a fan of the author and some of his articles), which doesn’t mention MACvlan? I’m guessing if you don’t need dhcp as @RonV42 mentioned, then just setup pihole as in this article or some other similar.
Macvlan lets you assign a unique IP address to each Docker container. This is useful in that it more closely mimics running services on discreet, bare metal servers; '192.168.1.11 is my DHCP server; .1.12 is my pihole; .1.15 is my Home Assistant server'...etc.

It also lets you run multiple services that may use the same port on the same h/w server - eg I want to use pihole for my kids' tablets DNS, and the Synology DNS server configured with local zones for my serious wired LAN work machines. WIth Macvlan, you can run both these on the same Syno, and point your clients to port 53 (DNS) on the respective IPs of each service.

You can run the Cloudflare DoH daemon (cloudflared) in conjunction with pihole on the same Synology to get you DoH alongside pihole ad-blocking. Etc, etc.

Basically, Macvlan makes your Docker setup far more flexible because you can give each container its own IP address rather than services all running on various ports on the Syno's own IP.

Sorry for not replying sooner as I am not getting notification. However, I did manage getting pihole up and running without the Macvlan. Again, I didn't want to mess things up that others here took time in helping me get it working right. I'm currently trying to get another container working, but it seems to be beyond my comprehensive abilities.🙃

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.