Currently reading
Please, help a noob! I'm so confused..

NAS
423+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm not new to computers, but an apparently a complete noob with NAS. I have a DS423+ with 4x10tb drives running SHR.
I have a couple of YT channels and was running out of space on my computer for all the video files. I keep all my source files so all that 4k footage can add up quickly. I wanted a NAS so I could have a large storage pool that was always on and the files always available, having parity protection was a bonus.
However, I was a bit surprised that I only got a quick start guide with the NAS, not real documentation or a How To for basic home NAS setup. I ended up watching a YT video that told me how to basic setup, but apparently not well enough as I am having issues.
Keep in mind this is a home NAS only, 90% of its use will be my me, storing my video files and also backing up some other files on my computer. So I wont need a bunch of users or worry about protecting one users stuff from another.
I have several questions/issues, in the root, I have these folders:
■ home (my folder)
■ homes (can only see this when I log in as admin, has my home and my wife's home folder)
■ Media Storage (where I store all of my source videos files, this is about 5tb.)
■ Channels (where I store my finished videos and other files for my YT channels, about 1.5tb)
■ PlexMediaServer (where plex media server is)
First question is, should I have my Media Storage folder and my Channels folder in my homes folder? or is it OK to leave it on the root? any advantage to having it either place?
Second question: I tried to copy my Channels folder to my root folder, its been working for 2 days now and I keep getting warnings that I'm running out of space.. which doesnt make any sense because I have 26.2tb of usable space on this NAS and that folder is only 1.5tb.. its like its duplicating it or somehow eating up all my space. I dont even know how to stop it.. Help?
Third question: do I even need to move it to my home folder?
Thanks in advanace. I realize much of this is common knowledge for many of you, but Im a complete noob when it comes to NAS and DSM.

First question is, should I have my Media Storage folder and my Channels folder in my homes folder?
No need to move it, having them in root is fine. The reason home folder exists is that it is used by certain DSM services, but having a root folder for custom videos and downloads is fine.

Second question: I tried to copy my Channels folder to my root folder, its been working for 2 days now and I keep getting warnings that I'm running out of space.. which doesnt make any sense because I have 26.2tb of usable space on this NAS and that folder is only 1.5tb.. its like its duplicating it or somehow eating up all my space. I dont even know how to stop it.. Help?
Well copy is duplicating, but it must be duplicating much more then 1.5TB.

In general, starting with list of running/installed apps will help in getting a bigger picture of how the NAS is setup, as well as Storage Manager (HDD configuration).

The more info you give the more likely is there will be helpful comments

What do you mean by ‘my root folder’? Are you talking about Linux ‘/‘ or somewhere located on /volume1?

There will be at least two storage areas per drive:
  1. Small system area that is mirrored RAID across all drives. This holds DSM, and means you can lose all but one drive and DSM still runs.
  2. Your SHR storage pool which holds /volume1. This is used for shared folders and packages, and their data.
So never put data in anywhere except the /volumeN and /volumeUSBN/usbshareN.

The /home folder you see is automatically generated by DSM for each user and is linked to /homes/username. Only an administrator user can see /homes.

There’s a whole site of help and guided at Synology.com. Plus there’s built in Help in DSM. You’ll find lots of information there. Also run the Security Advisor as it will suggest ways to secure your NAS, such as: making a new administrator user account; disabling the default admin account; change default DSM TCP ports.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.