blackvoid PLEX, bare metal or Docker?

Currently reading
blackvoid PLEX, bare metal or Docker?

PLEX, bare metal or Docker?

If you haven't heard of PLEX, shame on you! Kidding. Just in case if you haven't, it's a media organization and streaming platform. Already 10+ years old, it offers a way to stream and organize your movies, tv shows, music, and private videos (even retro games) and present that content on almost any device known today.

PLEX, bare metal or Docker?

All platforms that support PLEX clients on their devices

Now that we know what PLEX is, it might be a question of where to host it. Why? Well, PLEX is a client-server platform. It means that you need to have a running PLEX server that will handle the content management, and on top of that you need a PLEX client that will consume that content.

Continue reading...

Bare metal wins, and it will always be the most current until there is a plex/plex image.
... and after seeing all those docker commands... oy vey... Rusty is a trooper for putting that out there.

Last edited:
No cost to use hardware transcoding FTW!!! :devilish:
There's no cost to do h/w transcoding in Video Station either, but that's not really the topic here.

The cost of the Plex Pass is easily offset by all members of my Plex Home getting access to the Plex mobile apps for free (Plex player and Plexamp). Plus what cost remains has saved me my time that I was spending correcting Video Station, and before that adding iTunes, tags. But each to their own, whatever works, and isn't it great there are different options to suit needs and pockets.

Back to Plex and the info that bare-metal and Docker deployments performed as near as to be the same.

Nice comparison, thanks.
I have plex pass subscription and activated external access to plex server. To improve security I set up plex in docker to have better isolation between plex and the rest of the system.
Update of plex requires only restart of container when using "plexpass" version of docker image. It updates plex to latest version automatically on each start.
Performance wise I would agree, there is no difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.