DSM 7.0 Plex Docker or Package Center?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Plex Docker or Package Center?

Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing the DS920+.

I will be using it as a Plex Server mainly, and also setting up a torrent client with *arr intergration, with the torrent traffic hopefully going through a VPN; need to research my options here.

Is it better to have Plex installed using Docker, or a manual install using the package Center? What are the Pros/cons of each?
I will be accessing Plex mainly on the LAN, but I do give access to a couple of family members when they ask for a specific movie. I dont think I will be transcoding, but will the installation method impact this in any way?

I'm thinking Docker from what I've seen online, but I have never used it before, but it seems relatively straight forward for something as simple as Plex.

Also, re the compatibity table, I have seen some Iron Wolf 4TB with the model number ‎‎ST4000VNZ008, but the table only has ST4000VN008 (no Z). Will this be an issue? Any other recomendations for drives around £100 (I am in the uk)?

Thanks for reading,
PG

What are the Pros/cons of each?
Like any other docker app it will be sandboxes and more clean to run it as a container. Also the migration will be much more easier to a new host if you will need to do it in the future.

Saying all that you will not have hw transcode problems regardless of your choice.

Finally both methods will keep you at the latest version as Plex pushes new package version as well as an docker image pretty much at the same time.

Personally I use plex in multiple servers via package center, just because I always had it that way and those servers are pretty much dedicated devices for that, but I have a few docker ones as well and as an end user, you will not notice a difference.

Plex in Docker is doable, can't remember if it gets access to hardware transcoding but either search the forum (it's come up before) or someone may post the answer*. Plex Pass is needed to use hardware transcoding. If using Plex on DSM then most people will do a Package Center manual install using the package file from Plex.tv, rather than the older version that's hosted through Package Center.

Can't find a search result for ST4000VNZ008. I've usually used scan.co.uk and see they have ST4000VN008.

* and @Rusty beat me to posting. And more useful too.

Plex in Docker is doable, can't remember if it gets access to hardware transcoding but either search the forum (it's come up before) or someone may post the answer*. Plex Pass is needed to use hardware transcoding. If using Plex on DSM then most people will do a Package Center manual install using the package file from Plex.tv, rather than the older version that's hosted through Package Center.

Can't find a search result for ST4000VNZ008. I've usually used scan.co.uk and see they have ST4000VN008.

* and @Rusty beat me to posting. And more useful too.
ahh, just seen this (from amazon):

Question:
What is the difference between the 4tb hdd st4000vnz008 and the st4000vn008 or is it a typo?
Answer:
The model I received was vn not vnz, so I assume its an error.
By Jack on 30 January 2021
Hi there, If the 'z' shows in the part code this ASIN is a frustration free packaging which Amazon recommend and prefer as it's a reliable source.
By Jack L. on 22 February 2021

Last edited:
1. Plex in Docker is least susceptible to the whims of Synology coders
2. Otherwise, Plex package from plex.tv
3. Never use the Plex from Package Center ... it is always well out of date ... and the present one is "broken"

To setup hardware accelerated transcoding in Plex with Plex Pass, you will either need create the container from the shell or portainer. If you don't feel comfortable with that, skip the container road. You can always migrate to a container when you feel ready later. I can see how this scenario would be easier to setup using the spk than doing the same in docker.

NB.: a container is merly a fenced process, running on the same kernel, as a native host process. The overhead to fence/isolate the container is lightweigt and close to be irrelevant. Its curse and praise is that it kind of behaves like a vm - but unlike a vm does not emulate a system starting from the bios/kernel, but rather is an abstraction that encapsulates an application and its dependencies that uses isolation techniques of the hosts kernel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.