PLEX Hacked.

Currently reading
PLEX Hacked.

Yep I got that message for my main Plex account but not on our individual family Plex accounts (using these saves me having to have managed users and logging each person's apps with my main account). End up having to relink my Plex server with my main account. Not a major issue.

The top-right of the message shows the account name and avatar. All the links are point to URLs starting support.plex.tv

1661341918225.png

After i reset password, e-mail and new pass went fine but now i can't open plex on my Snyology, it's just rotating loading cursor but never logs in and on plex login account (online) it says it's not authorized (synology plex server) .

Arghhhh

After i reset password, e-mail and new pass went fine but now i can't open plex on my Snyology, it's just rotating loading cursor but never logs in and on plex login account (online) it says it's not authorized (synology plex server) .

Arghhhh
At least 5 cases today were on my desk with the same problem. Clearing up Preferences file fixed the issue:

Even claim wasn't working, (just infinite loading page). But after Rebooting Synology I managed to get claim/working again.
Now it's there, although i had to reorganize all my menus, pinned was all reset since server was not visible/claimed :(.

I suppose i'll need to link back all TVs now ?

thanks for links guys.

Also, make sure to Claim server after the password reset. At least I needed to do that.
Yes this was needed.

A bit of faffing about logging into app.plex.tv and then LAN_IP:32400/web and something gave up and eventually I got to the place to reclaim my server. It caused ~30 seconds of worry but all good. Really not sure that this should have happened, though there may be cached credentials/tokens on the server that would otherwise fully prevent regaining access.

When I got the mail this morning I first thought it was related to my going through all our accounts on app.plex.tv last night and disabling the Discover features. Others may like it but it's not for me.
1661347355679.png

My both LG TVs (WebOS) picked up fast after Re-Linking them but my 3rd TV which has GoogleTV (Android) i had to force stop Plex app few times until it finally logged in/connected.
plex.tv/link says T Vis linked but on TV code stayed and nothing happened few times.
So i guess android was a bit more finicky with this transition now but finally all 3 TVs seeing my NAS fine now.....

Let's hope they won't have another security breach anytime soon :D.

Last edited:
Well... that was disconcerting. Never received an email alerting me to the intrusion, so I logged in and all looked normal until I tried to download a new spk. Then a pop-up mentioned a password change, and I entered my account email.

After waiting 10 minutes for the reset email, I gave up and changed the password, logging out all devices (I have 2FA, FWIW). Then, the chaos began. Immediately the browser window indicated an "error" had occurred. So I refreshed the browser and attempted to log in, wondering which, if any, password was in effect. So the new one worked. Good.

With no instructions whatsoever, and yellow triangles on all my libraries, I stumbled across a reclaim server button.

Having no idea what that was about, I clicked it, and a minute later the screen refreshed with the triangles gone.

So maybe I'm good. Hopefully Roku activation will just use a web link.

Just for grins, I updated the spk, and all seems well.

And just now (finally) I received the password change email.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.