NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I have an issue when trying to stream at least 2 seperate 4K videos in Plex. Could anyone help shed light on what the problem is please? Playback is stuttering because Plex is having to transcode (Transcode reason: Not enough bandwidth for direct play of this item. Required bandwidth is 104126kbps and only 73470kbps available.)

I have 4 x 6tb Seagate Ironwolf Pro 7200rpm drives in SHR (With data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance)
2 x SSD Cache Drives
Plex Server in Docker container on DS920
Plex Client on Apple TV connected via Ethernet

Grateful for any help, thanks.

I believe you need to pay for Plex Pass to use hardware transcoding capabilities of DS920+, else you can only use software transcoding and DS920+ has difficulties for content over 1080p.

Edit : Sorry, I misunderstood the question. You should be able to direct play on local network. What is the exact format/size of the source file? Have you checked the speed of your network?

Upvote 0
I believe you need to pay for Plex Pass to use hardware transcoding capabilities of DS920+, else you can only use software transcoding and DS920+ has difficulties for content over 1080p.
Sorry my post wasn’t very clear. I have a Plex Pass, but don’t want it to transcode videos as that’s why the videos are stuttering. I’m trying to determine the bottle neck that’s preventing enough bandwidth for direct play. (y)

Upvote 0
Sorry my post wasn’t very clear. I have a Plex Pass, but don’t want it to transcode videos as that’s why the videos are stuttering. I’m trying to determine the bottle neck that’s preventing enough bandwidth for direct play. (y)
Well, I don't have any answer on that (I don't use a Plex Pass) but have you seen any differences if you disable hardware transcoding in Plex server's settings?

Upvote 0
I'm in docker. No issues except transcoding where ASS subtitles are involved.
Good to know, thanks. I have the NAS on my default network and the clients on an IOT network, but with a firewall rule allowing access from the clients to port 32400 on my default network. I’ve just spotted in Plex’s network settings, a field for allowing iP addresses or subnets to be considered as ‘on the local network’. This apparently avoids bandwidth restrictions. I’ve added the IP’s of the clients and will see if this makes a difference once the kids are in bed. 👍

Upvote 0
Adding my clients iP addresses seems to have worked, so I’m guessing Plex was restricting bandwidth to clients not on the same network as the server. Not sure why it would do this, but happy days! Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Sound like the settings for remote access had a limit for the remote stream bitrate (and probably limits for the internet upload speed as well). Though, I wouldn't have solved it on the remote access level either, and rather made sure the connections are considered as local LAN, as you did.

By default, only the subnet where the Plex service is located is considered a LAN network. Every other local subnet you want to be considered as LAN networks needs to be added explicitly to the LAN network list.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.