blackvoid PLEX migration with DSM 7

Currently reading
blackvoid PLEX migration with DSM 7

PLEX migration with DSM 7

About two weeks ago, DSM 7 came out and we were all so eager to upgrade (who could), but there is also an important note here to take away from this update.

Synology was hard at work to bring us many new features, some visible, some not so much as well as some new and exciting apps and services (C2 new lineup), but also, they made some changes when it comes to permissions and how 3rd party apps work with new DSM OS.

With DSM 7 a lot of apps got axed from being supported by the new OS, and those that will continue to work will demand the developers to adapt to the new security rules. One of those rules is that the apps can no longer run as root on the system. This leads up to this article.

Continue reading...

In the final steps to give read/write access to the media shared folder(s), as per Plex's instructions, I've instead assign only read access since I don't want to risk unforeseen deletions. It works for me in Plex both in DSM 6 and 7 (thought the Plex account is obviously different).

In the final steps to give read/write access to the media shared folder(s), as per Plex's instructions, I've instead assign only read access since I don't want to risk unforeseen deletions. It works for me in Plex both in DSM 6 and 7 (thought the Plex account is obviously different).
I agree with you on that one. I personally also have only read, but as the Plex team suggested R/W that's the reason I wrote it that way.

Last edited:
I've instead assign only read access since I don't want to risk unforeseen deletions
Unless you need to delete media from the Plex app, read only is recommended. If you require the optimize feature, use a separate folder for the "optimized" files, and grant read/write permissions there. From Plex (Chuck)...

3yp4dSr.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.