Plex not accessing my NAS directly only via my PC.

Currently reading
Plex not accessing my NAS directly only via my PC.

NAS
DS420J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I wonder if anybody can help me?

I have a plex server set up on a Synology DS420J and I can only access my media if my PC is running. Within the "remote access" section of Plex, the private IP address is that of my PC and not the IP address of my NAS. I have a static IP address already set up for plex and was working at one point but when I went to watch something through Plex the other night I was unable to and when checked out in the settings it was showing as "Indirect", now it's showing as "Nearby".

I thought this was going to be a quick change of an IP address within Plex and I was going to be up and running again but it wasn't to be. Is there a way to point Plex to the correct IP address?

Regards

Guessing you have a plex server running on your pc and on your nas now. So accessing it via your plex clients using the nas server (nas plex server) you need to have it configured. You cant expect to just change your plex server from your pc to your nas by changing its ip address.

Those are 2 separate servers and you need to do a migration from one server to the other, and then point your users/client apps to the "new" server.

consult the Plex KB on the migration process (Move an Install to Another System | Plex Support) if what I wrote is the case on your end. If it isn't then provide more accurate info and/or some shots.

Guessing you have a plex server running on your pc and on your nas now. So accessing it via your plex clients using the nas server (nas plex server) you need to have it configured. You cant expect to just change your plex server from your pc to your nas by changing its ip address.

Those are 2 separate servers and you need to do a migration from one server to the other, and then point your users/client apps to the "new" server.

consult the Plex KB on the migration process (Move an Install to Another System | Plex Support) if what I wrote is the case on your end. If it isn't then provide more accurate info and/or some shots.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct and I do have Plex on a PC and my NAS and what you have mentioned totally makes sense now. Sorry but I'm quite new to NAS's & Plex so I'm still finding my way.

To be honest I'm not too bothered if I have plex on the PC as I have VLC player installed. If I uninstalled plex on the PC would the I.P address revert back to the original one or is it not that forward?

If I uninstalled plex on the PC would the I.P address revert back to the original one or is it not that forward?
It’s not. But I get a feeling you are mixing things up when it comes to Plex. As a platform, Plex is client-server. Meaning that one component of the story is plex server and another is plex client.

What you can install on the nas is a plex server and only the server component. On you pc you can run both the server and a client.

So what are we talking about here then in the end? What do you want to achieve?

Because running plex server in some cases can be very taxing for the cpu so it will make a huge difference if you run the server component on a device such as a nas (without hw transcoding options) or on a decent modern pc.

It’s not. But I get a feeling you are mixing things up when it comes to Plex. As a platform, Plex is client-server. Meaning that one component of the story is plex server and another is plex client.

What you can install on the nas is a plex server and only the server component. On you pc you can run both the server and a client.

So what are we talking about here then in the end? What do you want to achieve?

Because running plex server in some cases can be very taxing for the cpu so it will make a huge difference if you run the server component on a device such as a nas (without hw transcoding options) or on a decent modern pc.
Hi.

All I'm trying to achieve is to view content on my NAS through the TV whilst relaxing. I installed Plex on the PC to give me an option just in case my partner was watching something else on the TV but having it on the PC is non-essential.

I do understand that the DS420J is an entry-level device and as it was my first one I need to know It was something I was going to use and not waste my money on.

All I'm trying to achieve is to view content on my NAS through the TV whilst relaxing
Right. So, installing plex on the nas is one thing. After that, you can use your PC to access the Plex server web ui page in order to configure it.

http://yourNASIP:32400, can you get anything on this URL? Does the UI load? If so then you have the Plex server running on your NAS.

Configure it and you are off to the races. Install Plex tv client and connect to your NAS Plex server.

Right. So, installing plex on the nas is one thing. After that, you can use your PC to access the Plex server web ui page in order to configure it.

http://yourNASIP:32400, can you get anything on this URL? Does the UI load? If so then you have the Plex server running on your NAS.

Configure it and you are off to the races. Install Plex tv client and connect to your NAS Plex server.
No, just get a load of text/coding, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Ok and http://nasIP:32400/web?
We are in.
-- post merged: --

Hi,

Bedtime, thanks for your help so far. 🙂😎

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-22 215541.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-22 215541.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 58

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.