Currently reading
Plex Permission error - Couldn't check for the existence of file

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I could do with some help trobleshooting this error in my plex install v. 1.24.5.5173-7000

Plex is not able to access my tv/movie directories. I've added the "plex" user on my synology to all user groups, and given it read/write access to every volume on the synology and still no joy. I also tried creating a new volume but plex still does not have permission to that volume.

Has any experienced a similar issue and able to trobleshoot/resolve it?

The error from plex logs is:
Code:
Nov 13, 2021 17:51:35.889 [0x7fa718394b38] ERROR - Couldn't check for the existence of file "/volume1/dinoby/.grab": boost::filesystem::status: Permission denied: "/volume1/petermac/.grab"

Currently on DSM 7.0.1-42218
I had originally installed plex on DSM 6, and it was working at that stage.

I have updated to DSM 7, and also updated plex. So it was likely one of these changes that broke the permissions.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling plex, but that didn't seem to work either.

I have updated to DSM 7, and also updated plex. So it was likely one of these changes that broke the permissions.
Have you followed the process of uninstalling Plex before you upgrade to DSM7? If not, then you need to follow the process of resolving that problem by going to the Plex forum.

Upon reinstalling plex, there was this helpful message, which I had previously dismissed. This fixed the permission issues I was having.

The main thing I missed was that it's the PlexMediaServer (System internal user) that needs read/write permission to your shared folder.

Thank you for troubleshooting with me @Rusty !

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 4.02.28 PM.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.