Currently reading
plex puzzle

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
this is more of a why question than an how to. I have plex on my tv via Roku. Both are hard wired via a switch which goes to my router modem. When I run plex on my tv to watch a movie, why does it use the WAN and not just the LAN. I found this out one day after my internet went down. I'm guessing Plex needs the access for some reason! TIA

this is more of a why question than an how to. I have plex on my tv via Roku. Both are hard wired via a switch which goes to my router modem. When I run plex on my tv to watch a movie, why does it use the WAN and not just the LAN. I found this out one day after my internet went down. I'm guessing Plex needs the access for some reason! TIA
Back in the day, Plex was completely "off-grid", but with the introduction of the Plex Account, this is no longer the case. This does not mean that you stream over the internet while watching locally, but certain operations require it to call home. One example is your active login. So if you lose internet connectivity and for some reason, you have exited the app and to log back in on that same device that will not work. This depends on the plex client implementation. In most cases as long as you are logged in and do not reset the app, you can ofc watch anything you want, but if you need to log in or relog you will have issues for sure.

So streaming is local, and you can check that in the dashboard or any metric system that you might be using, but the connected services will require a live internet connection.

I'm guessing Plex needs the access for some reason! TIA
The reason is so that Plex can collect usage data and PII data about you. I'll leave the question as to 'why do they want this?' for you to decide...

For playing movies, TV shows and music, Jellyfin is a fairly well used alternative to Plex that doesnt require an internet connection to play your locally-held content. It works very much like Plex and the server component can be installed on a Synology via Docker.

It is slightly rougher around the edges in some areas than Plex (certain subtitle formats / HD handling) but i've found it works just as well as Plex for most regular music / movies streaming.

If I lose internet, I can use my old Blu-ray player as it interfaces to my synology as a file browser. Was using it before I went to plex.

Plex added Streaming Services to Plex accounts, so it could provide info on the where to watch content. In SRM Safe Access I added discover.provider.plex.tv to Web Filter block lists, which seems to disable this feature. I've also disabled all the Discover features in Online Media Sources. I've no interest in adding those external media sources just to find I probably have to sign-up.

The only integrate media source I have added is Tidal, but I was already subscribed to that, and provides an alternative interface for it in Plexamp when using Apple's Car Play.

If I lose internet, I can use my old Blu-ray player as it interfaces to my synology as a file browser. Was using it before I went to plex.
If you enable Plex's DLNA server feature (similar to Media Server) it is probable the Blu-ray player can browser and play media that way, rather than mounting a file share.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.