User introduction Plex rules on my ds918+

Currently reading
User introduction Plex rules on my ds918+

Greetings to everyone. I love the ds918+ and run a Plex server for my household with 20 terabytes of movies and TV shows . no commercial heaven. I buy a lot of TV show DVD's on amazon and just dump them into the Plex server

I do run Transmission occasionally so , I have no plans to update to DSM 7 anytime soon.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I hear DVDs are on the wane but not for me, and the exact same reason as you. From where I sit in the room the picture is still very clear (not sure if that's anything to do with age, eyesight, or pre-/post-processing). Only really go for Blu-ray if I want the HiQ audio. TV is 42" standard 1080 HD and I can't see us going much bigger than that: space between speaker stands won't allow it.

I just ordered " that 70's show " I tried getting the blue ray version but it was back ordered , so I got the regular dvd's.

I'm getting tired of Netflix and Amazon Prime cutting the comedies I like. Netflix is on my kill sights. Prime is staying as I get AcornTV and BRITbox to watch my favorites British TV. I've had Magnum PI on my desk for over a year , that will be one heck of a job to transfer . 36 dvd's

I use a DS918+ and Plex+PlexPass too. Works fantastic! I regret however upgrading to DSM7 so you're right about staying with DSM6.
YES I agree DSM7 is "better" upgrade but it still runs on the same Linux Kernel , so it's just a new version where Synology becomes a dictator and forces a lot of the community apps not to work. more or less like Windows 11 . " every body wants to be like Apple " just a dictatorial company. they can keep it.

I'm moving and needed a smaller, quieter Plex server for the new house (that was the idea anyway). I went with the 920+ with 4×6 TB drives and DSM v7. Really pleased with the NAS except for it's far too noisy for a living room. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of acoustic dampening cupboard for it :rolleyes:. Plex runs lovely, though It has struggled a couple of times when I've had to seek/rewind when watching a couple of larger 4K movies. How have you installed Plex, bare bones or Docker? Currently, I have mine bare bones, but seeing how lovely everything else runs in Docker and how Watchtower keeps it all updated so well, I'll probably switch Plex over soon.

I run it straight bare bones. never figured out how to use docker . I thought docker no longer works in synology ? and what benefit would that get you ?

I thought docker no longer works in synology ?
LOL ... Not sure how you got that idea...

It's just that some models are too cheap to run docker. But Docker is able to run on pretty much every plus model at least.

and what benefit would that get you ?
Plenty . To name a few:

Consistent and Isolated Environment
Cost-effectiveness with Fast Deployment.
Mobility – Ability to Run Anywhere (not bound to a specific platform)
Repeatability and Automation
Test, Roll Back and Deploy
Flexibility
Collaboration, Modularity and Scaling

my memory is fading. I could sware that I got a message about it. but I see Docker is still there.

LOL ... Not sure how you got that idea...

It's just that some models are too cheap to run docker. But Docker is able to run on pretty much every plus model at least.

Plenty . To name a few:

Consistent and Isolated Environment
Cost-effectiveness with Fast Deployment.
Mobility – Ability to Run Anywhere (not bound to a specific platform)
Repeatability and Automation
Test, Roll Back and Deploy
Flexibility
Collaboration, Modularity and Scaling
like I said, I tried looking where I got that message from, I could sware it was synology. as for virtualization, I really do not like it for " my needs " my older son uses proxmox and runs several OS's as he does programming (gets paid to do it). me I run Debian 11 Bullseye and windows 10 from a 1 tb ssd. and do the backups to one of 3 other drives in my personal box. these days I default boot into Debian to do my emails and play mahjong (I like the tiles better than the one I bought years ago for Windows) I'm an OLD dog that loves bare metal tweak it till it turns purple ;)
-- post merged: --

For Plex I'd recommend having a look at this link
-- post merged: --

(y)
thanks , that's anice site lots of info for Docker .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.