DSM 7.1 Plex server not authorized with OpenVPN

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Good morning, guys.
As I've been tolding you before, I'm trying to set up my Synology DS214 play to act as a media server and a VPN client as well.
My VPN provider is OpenVPN (monthly subscription).
Everything seems to be working flawlessly, my device is reachable from the outside (I can even use it to listen to the music I like in my car), but, every 12/24 hours, the Plex Server goes offline stating that I don't have any authorization to access it.
What I have to do is switch the VPN off, claim the server back and restart the VPN, but, obviously, this is only a temporary solution as I have to start from scratch every 1/2 days.
I can understand that Plex goes nuts because the IP address that's been provided by OpenVPN is a little bit strange (it's public but cannot be scanned by services like shodan.io and so on), but I'd like to know if there's anything that can be done to stop the server from acting this way, otherwise I'll have to move Plex to a different machine.
Thank you very much...

How are you accessing the Plex server from the Internet? Is it using an address via app.plex.tv or direct to your server, like port forwarding. I’ve no solution just wondering if the connection method is causing this.

I would test on a different server before fully moving to it. It may not be a DSM issue but Plex/OpenVPN one.

If I use ssh or webdav I connect directly to the IP address that OpenVPN provides.
As for Plex, I just claim the server back and let the Plex and Prism apps on my phone connect just like if they were connected on the LAN.
What I'm trying to do now is to add the VPN server's IP address in the Remote Access area of Plex setup and see what happens.
I think that the problem is that Plex expects a "full" IP address, the one provided by my router, not the "fake" one provided by OpenVPN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.