DSM 7.1 Plex TV selection

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Plex TV selection

I have a DS220+ with Plex installed, so I can watch Plex live TV on computers. I want to buy a TV that I can watch Plex live TV channels. I know I need to choose a TV that explicitly supports Plex in their OS. What else do I need to consider? How is the user experience watching Plex live TV on a TV?

Since I have DS220+, should I connect the TV to the NAS? or should the TV connect to the external Plex server directly?

Since I have DS220+, should I connect the TV to the NAS? or should the TV connect to the external Plex server directly?
ICBW but TVs support Plex clients and don't have Plex servers. The server must reside on an external devices, and be transmitted via the network.

FWIW I use Roku over my TV's Plex app, as the Roku is more frequently updated.

Last edited:
A side topic I know , but relatively helpful.
Here in mountains OTA is at a premium.
We use Satelite DTV (Not 4k upgraded yet) augmented by an Ethernet connection, And 2x Roku’s:

Comparing the same HD channel on HD DTV and the DTV App on Roku 4K Ultra lite on one 4K TV, and same HD channel on a 1080i TV comparing ROKU 3 and DTV (HD) App.

BOTH The Roku’s win: Either viewing on 4K or 1080i TV, the Roku’s win over DTV. Better picture detail, less picture artifacts.

When I get back I’m gonna contact DTV to see if I can get grandfathered into 4K hardware for our 4k Theatre System.
Background is Production & Post Production. Bandwidth be Damned! Picture Quality is the Only thing!

A side topic I know , but relatively helpful.
Failing to see what this has to do with accessing Plex Media Server on a TV. I didn't think it pertinent to mention that we've upgraded our rooftop aerial, this week, and added 5G filter to get better OTA DTV, and to an DTV dongle to EyeTV on Mac.

Back on topic: I use Apple TV 4K (gens 1 and 2) via HDMI to AV amps. I done this for some years now: DVR for OTA broadcasts and Apple TV for home media (gens 1-3) and apps (gen 4 [HD] onwards). The TV itself is only used as a display screen, even audio is handled before the video is sent to the TV. Without the AV amp I would still use the Apple TV and DVR, relegating the TV for basic video and audio. The TV doesn't need to be smart or connected in any way.

I have a DS220+ with Plex installed, so I can watch Plex live TV on computers. I want to buy a TV that I can watch Plex live TV channels. I know I need to choose a TV that explicitly supports Plex in their OS. What else do I need to consider? How is the user experience watching Plex live TV on a TV?

Good option is to get TV with built-in Google (Previously Android) and install Plex app. I have this setup as a main station to watch both home library media's and live TV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.