1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Probably late to this party but I've just updated to the latest release of Plex on my NAS running DSM 7.

In DSM 6 Plex created shared folder 'Plex' to hold its configuration data, media metadata, logs, caches, etc. This folder could be backed up by Hyper Backup and made restoring easy.

With the preview, beta and early release of DSM 7 this changed to conform to new secure ways of installing packages. The initial solution for Plex was to create PlexMediaServer in /volumeN/@apphome, a location that other packages use. But if you've used Hyper Backup you'll know that you can't select this location for backing up. Nor can you access it in File Station.

From Plex v1.24.2, according to release notes, and definitely in v1.24.3.5033 this hidden location has been replaced by a new shared folder 'PlexMediaServer'. The upgrade happened from my existing DSM 7 '@apphome' Plex installation. It will be the default outcome for new installs and DSM 6 Plex migrations (still follow @Rusty's guide for a successful migration, start at STEP 2).

Remember to update your Hyper Backup tasks to include the new PlexMediaServer shared folder.

I found this in an heart-attack inducing way:

I was rootling around in the @apphome location looking to see if there was a perf setting to redirect the logs to a better place. I then saw that there was an option while doing the package update ... did it ... got an error dialog in Package Center ... found all its @apphome files and folders gone.​

Then checked HB to see if there was a remote chance to get them back, nope! Wished I'd not messed with the setup or updated, and should've noted the error.​

It took around 5 minutes for it all to settle down and then I could see /volume1/PlexMediaServer using SSH and the new folder in File Station. Hurray! all the config data was there. Had to refresh browser window to get Plex showing up without errors.​

If I hadn't been messing about I wouldn't have noticed this at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.