Poor Synology Support

Currently reading
Poor Synology Support

NAS
Synology 1515 ds
Hardware failure - not booting.
Hi I am not aware of anyone has had similar issue regarding to Hardware Failure.
I have own a Synology +1515 DS and it started to give hardware fault (not booting). This started happening when I was just only over 4 months of warranty. I investigated this issue and there is a lot of web information regarding the faulty intel chip A2000. That is why Synology extended warranty for a year for certain models. This is not a warranty issue but faulty product and should be replaced. This has been eagerly rejected by the support. I will attach my log file if anyone who interested to have a look. Finally, I was asked to get a repair quote but I am stuck with this company currently awaiting a repair quote for over 10 days.!!!There is still not clear that Synology will cover the cost. This is not fair.

Well if it’s not c2000 big problem then I’m not sure they will work something out for you considering that the official non bug warranty is out. Keeps us in the loop on the result.

Still I can agree they respond time could be faster but personally never had an issue open for that long.

Hi I will enclose what they responded to me last after 4 weeks back and forward communications. They are defending like a very “poor”

Dear Gursel,
Thanks for your mail, I'm Andrew, one of the team leader of the support team.
I already heard about your case and understood what you concerned. In this case,
we do offer you a free examine service and repair if it is confirmed as Intel CPU issue.
You can send back your NAS either through a local reseller or by yourself,
please note that you may be charged all the fees that including two-way freight, duties, taxes and brokerage fee, see below clauses:
=========================================================
When a package is shipped internationally, it may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and/or fees imposed by the destination country. These charges will typically be due once the shipped goods arrive at the country of destination.
You are responsible for ensuring to comply with laws and regulations of the country of destination. Synology does not have any responsibility on these additional charges that may apply.
Please note that certain countries may require certain documentation before the items are sent. If the necessary information is not provided, this may result in delays.
Contact Taiwan (HQ) for RMA service:
In this case, you might possibly be charged all the fees that including two-way freight, duties, taxes and brokerage fee. Please, be aware that you need to pre-pay the return freight fee (USD$80 for 1-2 bay NAS、USD$150 for 4-8 bay NAS) in advance. This includes freight, import/duty tax, and other potential costs if any.
i. The above fee mentioned is only for your unit transportation from our company to your address.
ii. Once the payment has been received, shipping instructions will be sent to you later. Please send back your defective unit as per the instructions.
iii. After receiving your defective unit, we will check if it related to CPU issue, there's no guarantee the due date, we expect the repair service will take 7-14 working days.
=========================================================
If you agree, I can send out the payment instructions in the next reply, thank you.

--
Best Regards,
Andrew Chen

OT: But your subject line still is true.
Especially German support stands out by incompetence. They often totally miss the point of an inquiry and ask questions which are already answered in the original message. If possible I try to post straight to the international support… (Is there a way using the new inquiry system to select a region?)
It just happened again 🤦‍♂️

OT: But your subject line still is true.
Especially German support stands out by incompetence. They often totally miss the point of an inquiry and ask questions which are already answered in the original message. If possible I try to post straight to the international support… (Is there a way using the new inquiry system to select a region?)
It just happened again 🤦‍♂️

same experiences from Syno German support center, such first level support is really useful for people who can't find PowerOn/Off switch a need a help

I don't have a motivation to save Synology position, but the problem comes from Intel. Of course Synology have to take their responsibility (also cost) to repair such troubles, or find best way to (or attitude) to save their brand. And Synology fails in this case, no doubt.

Problem details:
- in April 2017 Intel redesigns flawed Atom C2000 chip family to stave off premature chip death
- then all Motherboard vendors with an "old" MB architecture (follow Intel spec) called B0, was faced difficulties how to change the MB parts. Yes it was in 2017!!
- then you can imagine how many MBs have been produced w/o this feature and also used to final devices.
- you can find more details here

Then Intel prepared this document and there is the important information:
1566562504143.png

Then - you need carefully read my previous post (help link) - or find detailed photo of your motheboard by Google (tons), then basic soldering experiences (or friend on demand), mentioned resistor, ... and lucky, that it will save your position vs. abnormal Synology proposal (Synology repair service).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.