Question port apparently in use after reboot

NAS
DS1019+ DSM6
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
how do i find out what's using (or claiming to be using) a particular port on the NAS.
i powered off the NAS to phyiscally move it, powered it back on.
everything came back up nicely apart from 1 docker instance, apparently because the port that it used for months is now being used by something else.

port 5900

i've checked all the other docker instances and nothing there is using 5900, so i'm at a loss as to what the NAS things is using 5900 that it can't start the docker.

that didn't tell me much

chenks@ds1019:/$ netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:2379 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5900 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -

no other docker containers have that port, all my dockers have physically set ports, not auto.
the container that is trying use the port actually uses VNC, but it won't start because it says something else has that port, no other containers use VNC

that didn't tell me much

chenks@ds1019:/$ netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:2379 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5900 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
I said as root didn’t I?

root you say?
if there is a root password then i certainly don't know it, and it's not the same as my own admin account.
my account is the only admin account on the NAS (the default admin account is disabled).

looks like it was VMM (qemu), which is strange as both of those were running before the reboot.

incidentally, i still can't get pihole to work even though it is (apparently) listening on port 53

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
24295/pihole-FTL

whenever i set the any device to use the IP of the NAS for DNS i get no DNS resolution at all.

incidentally, i still can't get pihole to work even though it is (apparently) listening on port 53

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
24295/pihole-FTL

whenever i set the any device to use the IP of the NAS for DNS i get no DNS resolution at all.
configured on the host network or bridge? I managed to get it to work with the host network before I completely moved to ADGuard.

no i can't. that's what the issue is.
whenever i set the IP of the NAS/pihole as the DNS server on any LAN client i get no DNS resolution at all.
unless i am not understanding what you are asking.

when i used adguard it worked fine as a DNS server (which was uninstalled quite some time ago now).

this?

Annotation 2020-07-05 141407.jpg

Guess that network visibility is not an issue here.

i've gave up trying to get pihole to work.
turned off the container, re-installed adguard home, pointed devices to IP, and it worked as expected.

so no idea why pihole was having problems.

so any config tips for adguard?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.