Portainer-ce - not able to access the web interface

Currently reading
Portainer-ce - not able to access the web interface

Such a novice.... while am in as admin on Synology, the command prompt shows my user name and sudo or su are not engaging. The username yesterday when things were working was ash-4.4#
Depending on the desktop version of your OS (macOS, linux or Windows), you can use any number of apps to get SSH connection with your NAS (Terminal, shellngn, putty, etc).

Elevation to root can then be executed using your default DSM account. Once logged in, simply elevate with sudo -i and repeat your DSM user password. This should give you root@xxx$ command prompt that you can then use for any docker container or docker run commands.

Depending on the desktop version of your OS (macOS, linux or Windows), you can use any number of apps to get SSH connection with your NAS (Terminal, shellngn, putty, etc).

Elevation to root can then be executed using your default DSM account. Once logged in, simply elevate with sudo -i and repeat your DSM user password. This should give you root@xxx$ command prompt that you can then use for any docker container or docker run commands.
I was seeing the command as - lower case L...so no in as root. What was ash-4.4?

I'm going to ask a daft question: do you ( @pixelrogue ) need to map port 8000 outside of the Docker environment?

As I see it this is used for Edge Commute, and in my simple setup it doesn't seem to be needed to manage the local containers: I just map out HTTPS for the web portal. Getting an actual description of when Edge Commute is needed and how it works, as far as I can [not] find, would be a question so dumb and easy that a subject overview isn't included in Portainer's documentation.

I'm going to ask a daft question: do you ( @pixelrogue ) need to map port 8000 outside of the Docker environment?

As I see it this is used for Edge Commute, and in my simple setup it doesn't seem to be needed to manage the local containers: I just map out HTTPS for the web portal. Getting an actual description of when Edge Commute is needed and how it works, as far as I can [not] find, would be a question so dumb and easy that a subject overview isn't included in Portainer's documentation.
Unfamliar and can not speak to Edge Commute. Not aware of the need to map 8000 outside of docker. INSIDE of docker it is tied to Gluetun which is managing external connections.

The '-p' port mappings are to forward connections to/from your NAS's LAN IP port to the container's private IP port, which is on the Docker virtual subnet. If there's nothing on the LAN that needs access to/from port 8000 then you don't have to map it. Similarly, if you only want to have HTTPS access to the portainer web server, you only need to map the HTTPS port and can ignore mapping the HTTP port.

Here are a few commands I use to manage my portainer installation:
  • To list all current containers... sudo docker container ls -a
  • To stop a container (put in CONTAINER_ID found from the previous command) ... sudo docker container stop CONTAINER_ID
  • To remove a container... sudo docker container rm CONTAINER_ID
If you have a few rogue portainer containers that you want to clean up then use the ls -a command and then stop, if running, and rm them. Then you can start a new install with the latest image, making sure to include in the command -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock.

I have a script that I use to update the image for my simple portainer setup.

I think the default HTTPS port is 9443, but could be wrong.
1683328860055.png

-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Yoi are trying to bind portaneir_ce/data to data.
Is there any data folder inside portainer_ce folder at all?
Are you sure about the volume's name? It could be "volume1" instead of just "volume" as it is the default naming when you create a volume and yiu may have missed this detail.
Yes, there were volume and folder mismatches....and while fixed, trying different versions..so closer...however back to the original problem where Portainer shows as running normally but unable to get to its interface, server not found (ip and port correct, http & https.)

1683372028550.png

Attachments

• 1683365244134.png
    1683365244134.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 6
This venture is made far too complex using bind mounts. The simple CLI command works for most all use cases, including updates. Give it a go. Give the GUI a rest.
Doing everything via Terminal w/CLI (except the directory adjustments.)
Images are simply to show what is up and running.

Delete all Portainer containers

sudo docker stop portainer

sudo docker rm portainer

Repeat using all container names. Then, prune all unused images:

sudo docker image prune -a

Then

sudo docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always --pull=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce

Or register for ee instead of ce. Much better.

Last edited:
Delete all Portainer containers

sudo docker stop portainer

sudo docker rm portainer

Repeat using all container names. Then, prune all unused images:

sudo docker image prune -a

Then

sudo docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always --pull=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce[/A] Or register for ee instead of ce. Much better. [/QUOTE] Portainers deleted. [ATTACH type="full"]12677[/ATTACH] Pruned: [ATTACH type="full"]12678[/ATTACH] (note: there were a fair amount of deletions albeit portianer show as untagged and not deleted) [ATTACH type="full"]12679[/ATTACH] Install, errors out w/waiting for container: context cancelled. [ATTACH type="full"]12680[/ATTACH]
-- post merged: --

----
Got it now running (w/slightly customized ports) however still unable to access its interface from any of the IPs w/and w/o https.
1683376167571.png

----
Update - FINALLY!
So many tweaks not sure which one got it running...
1683377953119.png

Now to clean up the containers and return to the original goal of getting Starr apps back up and running + Watchtower

200w.gif

---
I expect anyone watching this thread might be more relieved that me that this phase is now working...

200.gif

---
Watchtower appears in place and operational.

Attachments

• 1683374374268.png
    1683374374268.png
    426.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1683374561246.png
    1683374561246.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1683374679623.png
    1683374679623.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1683374846384.png
    1683374846384.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 15
A leftfield one, but check that you haven't set up https: on port 9443 and forgotten about it.
Apologies, I missed this post....yes 9443 has been in the mix...
1683627912552.png
1683627928388.png

Think all that is left is regaining access to the web gui for Prowlarr and Gleutun. Everything is back in working order.

Apologies, I missed this post....yes 9443 has been in the mix...
View attachment 12732 View attachment 12733

Think all that is left is regaining access to the web gui for Prowlarr and Gleutun. Everything is back in working order.

I believe Gluetun does not have a webui. At least, it didn't at the time I configured it (and almost forgot about it, just updating when needed)...

I believe Gluetun does not have a webui. At least, it didn't at the time I configured it (and almost forgot about it, just updating when needed)...
You are correct...have had it up and running for ages and forgot about it.. presumed it had an interface. Ok, that leaves w/just Prowlarr's missing interface (which I know has a gui.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.