Portainer failed loading endpoint

Currently reading
Portainer failed loading endpoint

Last edited:
Hi
Just before Christmas I managed my first docker container, Qbittorrent (thanks again Rusty) and now I have (well, had) Portainer, PiHole and Bitwarden_RS running sweet and true. Oh yes, what an expert I am!!!
Until about thirty minutes ago when I tried to update my first container, the aforementioned Portainer. So I followed the basic steps, standard everywhere and here from @wwwampy. Download, clear, start. Easy. This must be from version 2.0.0 to 2.0.1, so nothing major.

Now I have the error mentioned above, specifically http error: Unable to proxy the request via the Docker socket (err=dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: no such file or directory) (code=500).

I guess the error starts with background schedule error (endpoint snapshot). Unable to create snapshot (endpoint=local, URL=unix:///var/run/docker.sock) (err=Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?) and then there are a few Invalid JWT token errors and finally the unable to proxy one.

I looked at a similar problem and no joy. I set the local Endpoint value to "10.0.10.32", the address of my NAS. (This was not required on my initial install.)

What on earth??? Nothing else was changed. Nothing. Perhaps I misunderstand the Clear command when updating.

Totally lost. A true expert... Any thoughts will be gratefully received!

Hi
Just before Christmas I managed my first docker container, Qbittorrent (thanks again Rusty) and now I have (well, had) Portainer, PiHole and Bitwarden_RS running sweet and true. Oh yes, what an expert I am!!!
Until about thirty minutes ago when I tried to update my first container, the aforementioned Portainer. So I followed the basic steps, standard everywhere and here from @wwwampy. Download, clear, start. Easy. This must be from version 2.0.0 to 2.0.1, so nothing major.

Now I have the error mentioned above, specifically http error: Unable to proxy the request via the Docker socket (err=dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: no such file or directory) (code=500).

I guess the error starts with background schedule error (endpoint snapshot). Unable to create snapshot (endpoint=local, URL=unix:///var/run/docker.sock) (err=Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?) and then there are a few Invalid JWT token errors and finally the unable to proxy one.

I looked at a similar problem and no joy. I set the local Endpoint value to "10.0.10.32", the address of my NAS. (This was not required on my initial install.)

What on earth??? Nothing else was changed. Nothing. Perhaps I misunderstand the Clear command when updating.

Totally lost. A true expert... Any thoughts will be gratefully received!
You will have to run portainer from a command line just like you did the 1st time. docker.sock is missing as a volume mount. That’s the problem.

Try this and correct the values

docker run -d --name=portainer_ce --restart always -v /volume1/docker/portainer_ce/data:/data -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -p 9000:9000 --pid=host portainer/portainer-ce:latest

Thank you Rusty. Of course, that worked. As for the Stop, Clear, Start process, my question is "How?", or "Why?"....
That little process makes sense and you find it everywhere, so, in general...
  • does it (the process) work most of the time?
  • Is it a known 'problem' / 'characteristic' with Portainer?
Or am I better simply off going to the command line every time I want to update a container?

Sorry to be anal, just trying to understand a littler better this (admittedly) very clever package... Thanks.

Sorry to be anal, just trying to understand a littler better this (admittedly) very clever package
You can’t update that particular container using the “clear” method via synology ui because it will discard to apply that specific volume bind. Without it portainer will run ofc but you can’t connect to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.