Portainer UI doesn't display IP's

Currently reading
Portainer UI doesn't display IP's

Having just successfully installed Portainer thanks to @Geeked 's thread.

But I can't get it to show the container IP's. Is there a trick to it?

Running Portainer v1.24.1
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 14.26.36.png

Uhm, what good is it to know the internal IP of a container?

NEVER ever use the internal IP of a container in a bridged/overlay network to communicate with it...

For outside to container communication: use published ports on the host to access the container port.
For container to container communication: leverage the network internal dns service (which does not exist for the default network) and use the service or container name of the container to address it.

leverage the network internal dns service (which does not exist for the default network) and use the service or container name of the container to address it.

So, if there is no internal dns service, how do I use it address container names? Are you saying I have to create a separate network and that will automatically create an internal dns service?

Every custom network has its own dns service by default (i am not even sure if it's possible to disable it...).

Just the default network (docker0) does not happen to have one. This is why container in the default network need to be "linked" to access another container in the same network. The container link will create an entry in /etc/hosts for the linked container. This is an annoyance from the early days of docker.

Every custom network has its own dns service by default (i am not even sure if it's possible to disable it...).

Just the default network (docker0) does not happen to have one. This is why container in the default network need to be "linked" to access another container in the same network. The container link will create an entry in /etc/hosts for the linked container. This is an annoyance from the early days of docker.
Does it matter if I make it public ownership in the same way as the default network or leave it as Admin ownership?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.