Possibility of nas treating drives like a pc.

Currently reading
Possibility of nas treating drives like a pc.

NAS
Ds414
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi

I have a couple of nas drives one a DS920+ used for plex and photos i also have a DS418 which is used for surveillance station on a single drive. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the 3 spare bays on the 418 to insert and remove drives much like you can with a pc adding files for archival purposes and removing the drive until such a time as needed again.

In a pc naturally this is possible as if a drive is removed and later reinserted the pc just see's the data on the drive as is, can i do this on synology with out having to create volumes or storage pools that report as crashed when the drive is removed.

This is sort of possible, but the NAS has never been designed for this.
You can use basic disk/ simple volumes and remove the disks without the crashed pools/volumes.
Disks will remain sort of only readeable in the NAS as you will run into reading issues (BRFS/EXT4 not generally readable by Windows), but you may be able to read them in linux as well.
I'd recommend you to use a simple USB-c disk docking station if you want to do this.

Upvote 0
This is sort of possible, but the NAS has never been designed for this.
You can use basic disk/ simple volumes and remove the disks without the crashed pools/volumes.
Disks will remain sort of only readeable in the NAS as you will run into reading issues (BRFS/EXT4 not generally readable by Windows), but you may be able to read them in linux as well.
I'd recommend you to use a simple USB-c disk docking station if you want to do this.
thank's i just created a basic storage pool but it did not seem to be viewable on my network unless i created a volume there did not seem to be an option for simple volume. My hope was to be able to use the bays just like usb storage without having to plug extra devices in to mains and such as i have a bunch of 3.5 drives lying around i could use and would have been nice to utilise those empty bays for something.

Upvote 0
You must create at least one shared folder to "see" a volume in File Station (or install a package that auto-creates system shared folders, as user files are stored in shared folders, not on the volume root.

Upvote 0
You must create at least one shared folder to "see" a volume in File Station (or install a package that auto-creates system shared folders, as user files are stored in shared folders, not on the volume root.
Yes I do get that, I was just looking for a way to do this and be able to remove the drive after use as possibly that particular drive may not need to be used for months. It seems my only path is usb and leave the 3 empty bays unused seems daft to havre to power on a usb caddy when I have empty bays.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a couple of nas drives one a DS920+ used for plex and photos i also have a DS418 which is used for surveillance station on a single drive. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the 3 spare bays on the 418 to insert and remove drives much like you can with a pc adding files for archival purposes and removing the drive until such a time as needed again.

In a pc naturally this is possible as if a drive is removed and later reinserted the pc just see's the data on the drive as is, can i do this on synology with out having to create volumes or storage pools that report as crashed when the drive is removed.
Bad idea - you run the risk of breaking the backplane connectors. Best to utilize external USB storage instead.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.