Possible for Photo Station to access files outside of home/photos ?

Currently reading
Possible for Photo Station to access files outside of home/photos ?

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a few shared folders with different photo storage in them - some old scans, some updated via Cloud Station, some are other people's photos, etc. I do not want to merge these folders nor do I want to move them.

I would like to add each of these folders to Synology Photos but it seems that only photos in the home/photos folder can be added.

So for example Photo Station includes photos from
vol1/attic/old scans
vol1/ed.j/onedrive/photos
vol1/shared/photos

Is that possible?

Mixing your photo packages: Are you talking about Photo Station on DSM 6 or Synology Photos on DSM 7?

Synology Photos has two album types:
  1. Personal album comes from each user's /home/photos.
  2. Shared album uses /photo.
Each album type has timeline and folder views, so that would facilitate your not merging folders requirement. But you are stuck because of your don't move the folders.

You could use a photo viewer client that can browser across folders, or create library/album from a list of folders. I have given Plex read-only access to /photo and then created a photo library with it: we only use the shared album for viewing photos on Plex.

Upvote 0
Mixing your photo packages: Are you talking about Photo Station on DSM 6 or Synology Photos on DSM 7?

Synology Photos has two album types:
  1. Personal album comes from each user's /home/photos.
  2. Shared album uses /photo.
Each album type has timeline and folder views, so that would facilitate your not merging folders requirement. But you are stuck because of your don't move the folders.

You could use a photo viewer client that can browser across folders, or create library/album from a list of folders. I have given Plex read-only access to /photo and then created a photo library with it: we only use the shared album for viewing photos on Plex.

Thanks fredbert - I'm referring to Synology Photos on DSM 7.

It's a shame that there are only two directories that can be viewed however I suspect that is because the package is really supposed to be for backing up phone photos, and sharing them, rather than a photo management system.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.