Pre-determined UID in passwd file ??

Currently reading
Pre-determined UID in passwd file ??

I'm trying to run a mariadb Docker container that apparently requires a UID 1001 ownership on any named/mounted volumes.

I would rather not have some anonymous 1001 UID owning a directory in the filesystem.

Synology (fair enough) don't want to know about or support such a play. Per Synology, DSM manages /etc/passwd directly, so they're not keen on me manually adding a user in or playing with 'passwd' in any way, shape or form.

But what if I were to add a user in via Control Panel and then manually change the UID in passwd? Would that survive reboots/upgrades, etc? And would it interfere any with DSM's operation?

Anyone brave enough have any ideas pls?

Anyone brave enough have any ideas pls?
Would recommend running Docker Hub image. It has PUID and PGID variables that you can configure to any value that you want (to any real defined user inside DSM that will for sure survive reboots).

With this image, you will be able to use its accounts that you have listed as valid DSM users and you will not have any problems. Also, you can then add specific permissions for that user to any set of folders/files that you want.

Would recommend running Docker Hub image. It has PUID and PGID variables that you can configure to any value that you want (to any real defined user inside DSM that will for sure survive reboots).

With this image, you will be able to use its accounts that you have listed as valid DSM users and you will not have any problems. Also, you can then add specific permissions for that user to any set of folders/files that you want.

I like it! Thanks Rusty.

I'll do a bit of checking up w.r.t. to what maria/mysqld config params bitnami set up for their version to see if the linuxserver version plays nice. But it does look all round more configurable.

Cheers

Just to confirm;

If you add a user w. Control Panel and then manually change their UID in passwd, that user disappears from the list of users in Control Panel on reboot.

Change the UID back to what it was and the user re-appears in the user list in Control Panel. So DSM is obviously tracking the user list somewhere else as well.

Apparently not in the Bitnami image. I suppose I could dive into the Bitnami image and docker file to set it up, but do I really want to?
I was thinking that if the container appears in the Synology GUI, you could examine the environmental variables, and if PGID/GUID are present, you could stop the container, edit the variables, restart, and be on your way.

But as Rusty's reply worked for you, mine is merely "academic" at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.