Question preserve Linux permission when copying over SMB

Currently reading
Question preserve Linux permission when copying over SMB

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Linux
Hey Friends,

Another question from NAS noob - still exploring my first NAS and I wonder if it is possible to preserve file permissions when copying them to NAS over smb protocol.

I have my Samba share mounted as
Code:
sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/etc/smb-credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000 //doctor-chaos/encrypted-smb-test /mnt

and whenever I cp files to it or try to chmod mounted files the file permissions does not change...

Is this possible at all? I don't want DS220j to create files using default Linux permissions but to use either permissions of original files or the one I set through chmod.

Not sure if this is how linux permissions are meant to work. As file permissions in linux are User and or Group based.
For sure the permissions are retained when making a backup in hyper backup, not sure if it can work in a copy to another system as there will be inconsistencies like file owners Or groups that do not exist on the new location.

In the rare cases I need to change owners or permissions I go to file station on the ds, click right on a file/ folder and change these under the properties tab.

After digging around and reading more I at least can name option I am was looking for... Basically I look for opposite of nounix flag but apparently it is still not implemented for SMB > 1.0:

- link 1
- link 2
- link 3

SMB and File station can handle both ACL and Unix permissions.
But Drive can hadle ACL only. It was discovered last week as bug in Drive.
From DSM 5.0 is every new Shared folder created with ACL by default.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.