Problem with external USB drives and formatting

NAS
Synology DS218
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Gidday

I am a bit of a newbie to NAS's and posted this on the Synology forum (I have submitted a ticket to Synology) and other places but haven't had any solutions to the problem...I hope I have posted this in the correct thread...apologies if not...

I bought a second-hand DS218 and have installed two Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb drives and have everything working as it should (AFIAK) but when I attempt to plug an external hard disk via USB (a WD 4Tb on the compatible list) that is formatted as exFAT (or other formats), I get a message when I try to format it in the external devices area...

The error message is "Formatting "usb disk1" with ext3/ext4 failed since its size is less than 100 MB". Looking at it in Windows it recognises the size of the drive as 4Tb. I have searched and found only one mention of this problem and the reply wasn't too helpful...

I have tried another USB to SATA adapter and I am getting the same response...

This is frustrating me and I am hoping that someone may have a hint as to what is wrong and how I can go about fixing the problem...

cheers

col

Last edited:
Many thanks for the reply but no go...I have formatted the drive to other formats, including NTFS and I am still getting the same message...
Would it be better to format the drive using Linux? I have the Ubuntu WSL installed but my knowledge of it is severely lacking...
And the drive is empty as I only just purchased it...

cheers

col

PS Why are you formatting it? If you want to backup to it you can just use 'USB Copy' and it will write to it as a NTFS drive. Or are you trying to use it as extra storage to read from? Are you using DSM7.2 (the NAS operating system)?

I want to use it as an external USB backup drive...
I am using DSM 7.2

I deleted the drive/partition and attempted again but got the same result...

cheers

col

Col I would just format under windows, check that it is showing 4tb in windows, then just start using it by doing a small test with USB copy. That is working for me on a 918+ on DSM7.2. The operating system is pretty good at recognising the drive, I wouldn't format it from the NAS (plus with NFTS you can use it on your windows machine). Hopefully that works.

Under Windows it shows the drive no problems but still not able to format it in the NAS...
I tried the USB copy but no go as you can see in the attached image...
I have also attached an image of the error when attempting to format when connected to the NAS....

cheers and thanks for the suggestions...

col

USB Copy.jpg

failed.jpg

In Windows you can use diskpart command and its clean instruction to prepare a drive for formatting. But before you do you should be certain of this command and its ability to wipe the wrong drive if you select the wrong one.

Usually there’s no reason to use the NAS to format a USB drive. But it sounds like this drive has partitions on it and there may be a small one causing the issue. I’m guessing 🤔

I am at a loss. The only thing I would try is the rear USB port. I am at a loss, hopefully someone more knowleadgable reads this over the weekend!

I have used the Diskpart command previously to clean the disk...to no avail....

I have actually located the problem I think...the drive has only been showing 2Tb for some unknown reason (I think it may have been my undoing somewhere along the way :rolleyes:)...and when I dig deeper there are two partitions on the drive so I am giving it a wipe again and will format it and see where it gets me this time...
Thanks for all the suggestions...it has been frustrating...

cheers

col

Well, I finally got the external hard drive recognised by the SAN and I must say that it was all my fault, even though the error message was a bit misleading (and my PC skills are a tad lacking :confused:)...
I purchased another SATA to USB adapter but this time I got one that was powered and what do you know? I hooked the drive up and it was recognised and I was able to format it...
Just want to say thanks for all the suggestions for help...it was appreciated...

cheers

col

Added a NexStar 6G to each of my 3x NAS’s with SSD inside, months ago. Quite happy with them!

I had an older NexStar 3 enclosure and it was intermittent. Followed enclosure rather than drive inside. Unknown if it was because of enclosure speed or not, but a 6G with same SSD works flawlessly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.