Problems connection to NAS Control Panel via ethernet

Currently reading
Problems connection to NAS Control Panel via ethernet

If you have good wifi, you may setup a good repeater with ethernet port, and connect the ethernet port to the NAS.
Keep this repeater as close to your router as possible. You should use a repeater in repeater mode, not in accespoint mode.

If you have good wifi, you may setup a good repeater with ethernet port, and connect the ethernet port to the NAS.
Keep this repeater as close to your router as possible. You should use a repeater in repeater mode, not in accespoint mode.
Aaaaah, there is a thought, thank you, I will investigate this.

This is going wrong again.

You say that the NAS is connected to the iMac using an ethernet cable. That is OK, BUT because there is no DHCP server running on the Synology you will have to give both the Mac and the Synology an IP address that is in the same subnet so that they can reliably talk to each other.

Those addresses could both be 192.168.1.x addresses, BUT if that happens to be the same subnet as the router is serving you will need to watch out for conflicting IP addresses issued by the DHCP server in the router.

If the router's DHCP server also issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (very common) then there is a strong chance you will have another device picking up 192.168.1.128 and then you will have two devices on the network with the same address and the Mac will not be able to reliably connect to the Synology.

You need to check the iMac's WiFi connection to see what IP address that has, and find out the address of the router (gateway). If you need to persist with this approach, which is quite honestly a kludge rather than anything else, then I would recommend using a different subnet than the subnet that the router serves, and probably accept that the ethernet network and the WiFi network are not connected together.

Your Synology will however need an internet connection in order to get updates - is there no way of physically connecting the Synology to the router? It is very unusual to have access to a WiFi network and not have physical access to the router.

You CAN enable internet sharing via the iMac if you want to pursue this path but it is all getting quite complicated. I would Google "Macintosh Internet Sharing" if you want to pursue this. It is not terribly difficult but maybe not worth pursuing unless you are an advanced user, as you will have to handle the routing between the different network connections.

MUCH BETTER would be to plug an ethernet cable from both the iMac and the Synology into the router so that they connect directly by ethernet and are both set up on the same subnet for interconnection AND for connection to the internet.

There are also plenty of other ways of doing this. Just saying!

This is going wrong again.

You say that the NAS is connected to the iMac using an ethernet cable. That is OK, BUT because there is no DHCP server running on the Synology you will have to give both the Mac and the Synology an IP address that is in the same subnet so that they can reliably talk to each other.

Those addresses could both be 192.168.1.x addresses, BUT if that happens to be the same subnet as the router is serving you will need to watch out for conflicting IP addresses issued by the DHCP server in the router.

If the router's DHCP server also issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (very common) then there is a strong chance you will have another device picking up 192.168.1.128 and then you will have two devices on the network with the same address and the Mac will not be able to reliably connect to the Synology.

You need to check the iMac's WiFi connection to see what IP address that has, and find out the address of the router (gateway). If you need to persist with this approach, which is quite honestly a kludge rather than anything else, then I would recommend using a different subnet than the subnet that the router serves, and probably accept that the ethernet network and the WiFi network are not connected together.

Your Synology will however need an internet connection in order to get updates - is there no way of physically connecting the Synology to the router? It is very unusual to have access to a WiFi network and not have physical access to the router.

You CAN enable internet sharing via the iMac if you want to pursue this path but it is all getting quite complicated. I would Google "Macintosh Internet Sharing" if you want to pursue this. It is not terribly difficult but maybe not worth pursuing unless you are an advanced user, as you will have to handle the routing between the different network connections.

MUCH BETTER would be to plug an ethernet cable from both the iMac and the Synology into the router so that they connect directly by ethernet and are both set up on the same subnet for interconnection AND for connection to the internet.

There are also plenty of other ways of doing this. Just saying!
Yes, the router 192.168.1.1, the iMac WIFI 192.168.1.19 and the Synology 192.168.1.128 are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0.
The iMac Ethernet port is a self-assigned IP, would I need to set this manually too?
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 1.47.39 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 1.47.51 pm.png

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to access the router physically as the owner is afraid something would be at a miss. I am here in this temporary location for about 6 months but need to work with this NAS system as best as I can.

I activated the internet sharing, doing Update & Restore on the NAS results in the error message: Connection failed, please check internet connection.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 1.54.19 pm.png

Last edited:
You say that you aren't allowed to access the router physically, but plugging an ethernet cable into it is not really any different at all from connecting to it via WiFi. The only thing that you could practically do is to reset the router to its default settings but that would not be of any help to anyone because without knowing the settings for the internet connection it would then effectively just become a dumb box. So I don't understand the owner's reluctance to let you simply plug an ethernet cable into it.

If it is some distance away (or there are not many free ethernet ports) then you could simply run one ethernet cable to where your devices are located and have a small ethernet switch into which you plug all three cables - the one from the router, the one from the Mac, and the one from the Synology box.

If you definitely cannot do this, then you will need to employ Internet sharing on the Mac. The Mac will be connected to the internet through its WiFi connection, and the Synology box will be connected to it using an ethernet cable, as you already have it. The Synology box will then get to the internet via the Mac.

Yes, the iMac's IP address for its ethernet connection will need to be correct so that it and the Synology box can talk to each other. If they are not on the same subnet (IP address in the same range, such as 192.168.1.x) then they are in different subnets and not able to talk to each other*.

HOWEVER the way that internet sharing works is that when you switch it on, the Mac acts as a DHCP server to devices that are connected to the network it provides. So as long as you set the Synology box to use DHCP it will pick up the correct IP settings to be able to connect through the iMac to the internet. The subnet it creates will NOT be the same as the one which the router creates, to avoid IP address conflicts, and it ensures that the traffic is segregated.

* Note that there ARE ways that devices can talk to each other without being on the same subnet, but routing for a connection to the internet will require that the IP settings are correct.

Thank you all for your very appreciated help!!!

I decided to try and go for the NETWORK EXTENDER solution and it works!!! I am using a Netgear extender with an ethernet port and voila the NAS is responding nicely.

YAY

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.