DSM 7.1 Protection from accidental deletes

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Protection from accidental deletes

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
I have about 4 TB of data on my NAS to backup and am setting up Hyper Backup for the first time. Some files on the NAS will be updated fairly regularly by myself and others, some not for years or probably ever again (but I need to keep them for many years to come).

If a file/directory is accidentally deleted from the NAS will it ultimately be deleted from the Hyper Backup? I have looked at the retention options, but am unclear whether something that's deleted on the NAS will be retained in the backup i.e. will the data retention pruning ultimately remove all versions of the deleted file?

I plan to set up customised retention policy with e.g. 128 versions total, probably monthly for the oldest files. One of my main worries is loss to accidental deletion of a file/directory, I am less worried about small recent changes because the NAS data is also synced with Dropbox (which is how users will access the underlying files data day-to-day) which provides great protection for file recovery in the short-term, but not after 30 days.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Solution
Welcome!

Hyper Backup will allow for version and incremental backups as you are already aware. Over time, depending the number of versions and the grandfather-father-son policy older versions will start to be deprecated.

Saying this, if something happens to the original file that is being backed up that doesn’t mean anything bad will happen to the versions that are already part of the backup.
Welcome!

Hyper Backup will allow for version and incremental backups as you are already aware. Over time, depending the number of versions and the grandfather-father-son policy older versions will start to be deprecated.

Saying this, if something happens to the original file that is being backed up that doesn’t mean anything bad will happen to the versions that are already part of the backup.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks, that's useful to know. I need to reassure myself that files I add to the NAS now, but don't access again for a decade or so, will still be in the backup even if they are deleted on the NAS at some point by accident. Accepting of course the likelihood that I migrate to a new NAS at least once during that period.

Upvote 0
I can also recommend to setup multiple backup tasks.
e.g. a slow moving archive that runs eg weekly or monthly, and a second task with fast movers with eg daily backup.
This keeps the daily tasks lighter.

Upvote 0
Snapshot Replication (with local snapshots) is handy for the occasional "whoops". For major recovery, Hyper Backup is the tool. However, if you have a second NAS, Snapshot Replication is better IMO.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back