ProtonMail removed “we do not keep any IP logs” from its privacy policy

Currently reading
ProtonMail removed “we do not keep any IP logs” from its privacy policy

That this was done openly via the law courts should be a small* consolation versus the service provider providing an unpublished backdoor for surveillance.
Agree.
*very small.
Agree even more.

Anyway, as I also read in the article the (privacy) advantages of using a VPN is highlighted there again.
Yes, but there is no such thing as (total) privacy. That makes me think what is the difference if I use iCloud as my personal email. Currently, I don't, I also don't use ProtonMail, I use Posteo. But o_O? I don't think I do anything that wrongs (hopefully) on this planet, but still wouldn't like someone to snoop on my email.

That account was operated by the Parisian chapter of Youth for Climate, which Wikipedia describes as a Greta Thunberg-inspired movement focused on school students who skip Friday classes in order to attend protests.

According to multiple statements ProtonMail issued on Monday, the company could not appeal the Swiss demand for IP logging on that account. The service could not appeal because a Swiss law had actually been broken and because "legal tools for serious crimes" were used. ProtonMail does not believe the tools were appropriate for the case at hand, but the company was legally responsible to comply with their use nonetheless.
Poorly defined laws that aim to protect against terror threats will also be used to suppress what many would see as legitimate activities. Anyway, this is skirting close to forum rule 10.

Interesting that Swiss law forbids the same log information being extracted from VPN service providers and, as such, using ProtonVPN to access ProtonMail would have stopped any useful information being released.

There's a leap of faith whenever we use VPN services too: there is a lot of information that you're trying to hide from you ISP that you're potentially giving to a VPN service provider.

Yes, but there is no such thing as (total) privacy
Well, for what I see the only way to gain as close a possible to that is to host everything yourself. Ofcourse that depends how much time (configuration, maintenance etc) and money (you cant do this with 1 cheap NAS model ofcourse) you want to spend on it. I know I have; I host 2 mailservers on my DS718+ :D

Well, for what I see the only way to gain as close a possible to that is to host everything yourself. Ofcourse that depends how much time (configuration, maintenance etc) and money (you cant do this with 1 cheap NAS model ofcourse) you want to spend on it. I know I have; I host 2 mailservers on my DS718+ :D
OT
I agree. And I host one myself. Just wondered if you use the MailPlus Server Package and how you host two on one machine?

Recommendation: use Protonmail through TOR, making any logging of IP addresses completely irrelevant. And the Brave browser is not only a great browser, it has built-in TOR.

It is interesting that this is something happening in Switzerland, whose private banking system is the basis for washing worse worldwide toxic financial resources. There, their courts are apparently forgiving. Similarly in Luxembourg.

I see a big wave of self hosting of email coming again. I gave up on cloud based email 5 years ago and I am not looking back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back