User introduction Purchased DS720+, 2x 8TB Ironwolfs and 8GB Crucial

Currently reading
User introduction Purchased DS720+, 2x 8TB Ironwolfs and 8GB Crucial

Hello all,

I finally took the leap and bought a DS720+, 2x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs, and the 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFS8266 to upgrade the RAM. I had originally planned to buy the DS220+ and 6TB Ironwolfs but had an extra inflow of $$ and the 8TBs went on sale this week. I also like the idea of the expansion possibility for future storage of the DS720, although the expansion module seems a little $$$teep.

I haven't received everything yet so I'm still researching the proper order of operations to get everything up and running. Do I install the the hard drives and DSM 7.1 upgrade before installing the RAM upgrade? Any pitfalls along the way?

Here's looking forward to getting to know the community!

Cheers!

Welcome!

Excellent purchase! Hope you will not have issues with the RAM and drives. Regarding your question, you could start fresh with stock RAM, configure the NAS and the drives and see if it all works on that level.

Then, after that, you can play with the RAM upgrade. Would advise this just so you don't get into any trouble off the bat as you start your configuration and setup.

Last edited:
When I turned on our new 720+ for the first time, the 2x drives, NVME cache’s and Ram (4Gb Crucial) was already installed... before the first power up...
Got a prompt about drives not being suppored: (Older Seagate 7200 RPM Baracuda's with revised firmware retired from Raid0 on Editing system) but nary a peep on ram.... (Told it to use drives anyway -- SHR!)

PS: V7 was only offered OP Sys..

Hello all,

I finally took the leap and bought a DS720+, 2x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs, and the 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFS8266 to upgrade the RAM. I had originally planned to buy the DS220+ and 6TB Ironwolfs but had an extra inflow of $$ and the 8TBs went on sale this week. I also like the idea of the expansion possibility for future storage of the DS720, although the expansion module seems a little $$$teep.

I haven't received everything yet so I'm still researching the proper order of operations to get everything up and running. Do I install the the hard drives and DSM 7.1 upgrade before installing the RAM upgrade? Any pitfalls along the way?

Here's looking forward to getting to know the community!

Cheers!
Follow up from my initial post:

So, back in January 2023, after running just fine since June 2022 with the setup from my post above, my DS720 stopped responding and the blue led on the power button started flashing. The web searches suggested a failed motherboard. In reality, it had something to do with my 8GB Crucial RAM. I removed it and the DS720 started working just fine. I believe that the recent DSM update either corrupted my Crucial 8GB RAM or they flipped a software switch that prevented the 3rd party RAM from working. I don't which. I just installed the 4GB Crucial RAM and it booted fine. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to buy another 8GB to test it if it's not going to work.

Has anyone else had this issue recently? Did my RAM just crap out or did Synology do it in the DSM update?

Last edited:
Latest DSM on 720+ Now using 10GB Ram. Ok here. Went from Crucial 4 GB in open slot to:

Timetec 8GB DDR4 2666MHz (DDR4-2666) PC4-21300 ( (PC4-2666V) Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.2V CL19 1Rx8 Single Rank 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook PC Computer Memory RAM Module Upgrade (8GB)​

That, too works fine on latest DSM (As did Crucial 4GB before it)..

PS: I can find nothing to show any improvement whatsoever of 10GB over 6GB Ram.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.